Thunderstorms North Island December 7 and 8

Archive of NZ Weather and Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
spwill

Re: Thunderstorms North Island December 7 and 8

Unread post by spwill »

I drove down to Bombay mid afternoon, could hear thunder from cells to the east (photo) but the cbs were moving quickly south. Poor light today due to smoke.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

tornado wrote: Sat 07/12/2019 16:26 why is there storms south and north of auckland but nothing in auckland?
There is hill country north and south of Auckland and no doubt better heating.
tornado

Unread post by tornado »

I see wellington is having thunderstorms right now
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Still quite a bit of static on the am band, likely from that storm currently over Northland.
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

David wrote: Sat 07/12/2019 16:39
tornado wrote: Sat 07/12/2019 16:26 why is there storms south and north of Auckland but nothing in Auckland?
Was thinking the same. We have warmth and convergence today so not sure why nothing is happening... Quite often it only sparks north and south of us in these convective situations
Anything really interesting stayed on the other side of the Kaimai Weather Force Field (as I like to call the Kaimai Ranges) from Tauranga, did look good over there though. But I couldn't chase. My cars Check Engine light alarm indicates Crank & Cam sensor out of phase. It's going in on Monday for a new cam chain (existing has stretched and may break when started). We did have a short sharp shower with very occasional thunder come through at about 2.30pm, but I'm loathed to call it a thunderstorm.
tornado

Unread post by tornado »

tgsnoopy wrote: Sat 07/12/2019 20:09
David wrote: Sat 07/12/2019 16:39
Was thinking the same. We have warmth and convergence today so not sure why nothing is happening... Quite often it only sparks north and south of us in these convective situations
Anything really interesting stayed on the other side of the Kaimai Weather Force Field (as I like to call the Kaimai Ranges) from Tauranga, did look good over there though. But I couldn't chase. My cars Check Engine light alarm indicates Crank & Cam sensor out of phase. It's going in on Monday for a new cam chain (existing has stretched and may break when started). We did have a short sharp shower with very occasional thunder come through at about 2.30pm, but I'm loathed to call it a thunderstorm.

best to call that shower a thunder shower. not a storm.
tornado

Unread post by tornado »

wow high risk for thunder tommorow from afternoon. moderate in the morning :)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Big area of storms in the north Tasman Sea currently will make land fall over the west of the North Island early tomorrow morning. Most likely south of Raglan but maybe a bit further north too.
tornado

Unread post by tornado »

the front tommorow night looks intresting as well. plus afternoon heating. i think we might be in for a intresting day. hopefully not a dud like today :(
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

tornado wrote: Sat 07/12/2019 21:20 the front tommorow night looks intresting as well. plus afternoon heating. i think we might be in for a intresting day. hopefully not a dud like today :(
Yes, for Auckland we have the heating/convergence scenario and then a front late at night.
RODALCO

Unread post by RODALCO »

Lots of lightning activity West of NZ. Lets see what will unfold tonight or tomorrow.
2019-12-07_23-00-41.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who put the LED's on the lightning arrestor ?
Thunder081

Unread post by Thunder081 »

Absolutely amazing lightning display in porirua, Wellington for the last 40 minutes
Wellington southerly front timelapse: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBl3hsuIg2Q
Thunder081

At times there were flashes every 10 seconds and a few big cracks of thunder and some forked lightning \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
tornado

Unread post by tornado »

Just heard some distanct thunder dont know where it came though. :)
Thunder081

It's still going in porirua right now! Here's a good bolt from about 30 minutes agoImage

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

tornado

Unread post by tornado »

I been hearing the odd low distant rumbles of thunder. for a little while now.
Awhituobs

Unread post by Awhituobs »

I would have thought its too far away , the line in the tasman, to hear any thunder?
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Yes, Wellington absolutely hammered overnight by the looks!

This morn's update for posterity, as it's not something you really see every day...
MetService Thunderstorm Outlook

Valid to: Noon Sunday 8 Dec 2019
Issued at: 5:52am Sunday 8 Dec 2019

Chart updated to increase risk to high over central New Zealand and issue SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH.

A front embedded within a very humid northwest flow is expected to become slow moving over central New Zealand Sunday morning. A high risk of thunderstorms is in place from Waitomo and Taihape to Wellington, Nelson and Marlborough, and a SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH has now been issued for this area, with rainfall intensities of 25-40 mm/h there. Strong wind gusts are also possible, between 90-110 km/h. Refer to the latest severe weather watches and warnings for more info.

A moist unstable northwest flow affects the North Island. There is a general low risk of thunderstorms from Northland the the central high country and the Bay of Plenty, but the risk rises to moderate towards noon in the south of Northland, Auckland, Coromandel Peninsula, Waikato, Waitomo, Taumarunui, Taupo, Bay of Plenty and Rotorua. These storms may be accompanied by heavy rain, 10 to 15mm per hour and strong wind gusts, 90 km/h.

The South Island is affected by unstable northwesterlies and there is a moderate risk of thunderstorms in Buller, Westland, Fiordland and the west of Stewart Island. These storms may be accompanied by hail, strong wind gusts, 90 to 100 km/h and heavy rain, 10 to 25mm per hour. There is a low risk of thunderstorms affecting much of the remainder of the South Island apart from the Canterbury Plains and the south of Marlborough.

No thunderstorms or significant convection expected elsewhere.

MetService T-storm Outlook Map for Dec 08 am, Is. 5.50am.png

Valid to: Midnight Sunday 8 Dec 2019
Issued at: 6:29am Sunday 8 Dec 2019

The front is expected to move slowly northeast over the North Island during the remainder of the day. This front and the moist unstable airmass ahead of it brings thunderstorms and possible severe thunderstorms to many areas, including downpours (rainfall intensities of 25-40 mm/h), and possible small tornadoes in Taranaki during the afternoon and evening.

The combination of afternoon heating and a very humid air mass is expected to create conditions favourable to afternoon and evening thunderstorms across large parts of inland North Island. There is a high risk of thunderstorms from Northland to Taranaki, the central North Island high country, Coromandel Peninsula and the Bay of Plenty. Horowhenua and Kapiti Coast are also affected. These storms may be accompanied by heavy rain, 10 to 25mm per hour, 10 to 20mm diameter hail and strong winds gusts, 90 to 100 km/h. There is a low risk that some of these thunderstorms may be severe with downpours, 25 to 40mm per hour and hail larger than 20mm.

During the afternoon there is a moderate risk of thunderstorms in the Marlborough Sounds, Wellington, Wanganui, Manawatu, the north of Wairarapa and the south of Taihape as indicated on the chart. These storms may be accompanied by heavy rain, 10 to 25mm per hour and strong wind gusts. 90 to 100 km/h.

A cold upper trough expected to move over the lower South Island during Sunday afternoon and evening brings a general moderate risk of thunderstorms to many areas, from southern Buller to Fiordland, and extending into Southland, Otago and Canterbury. Rainfall intensities of 10-20 mm/h and hail of 15 mm or less are expected with these thunderstorms.

A low risk of severe thunderstorms is also in place for Dunedin, North Otago, Canterbury Plains and Christchurch (late in the day) as the front coupled with the upper trough is expected to move through. Heavy rain of 10-25 mm/h, large hail with diameters 20 mm or more and small tornadoes are possible.

A low risk of thunderstorms covers most other areas as indicated on the chart.

MetService T-storm Outlook Map for Dec 08 pm, Is. 6.28am.png
Awhituobs

good stuff
I am up in the big smoke today helping a mate on building a house
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

I will chase today if something is worth it. Have a family Christmas function but also have the weekend off the farm so happy to ditch an extended family thing for storms hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Updated charts for today...

MetService T-storm Outlook Map for Dec 08, Is. 9.01am.png
MetService Severe T-storm Watch Map for Dec 08 pm, Is. 8.50am.gif
tornado

Unread post by tornado »

wow. thats pretty much a rare set up in auckland. well we dont get high risk too often. well i dont think we had a high risk in auckalnd this year.
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Big pileus cap clouds and breaches going on at the moment. Promising signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awhituobs

Smokey, west auckland
20191208_105252.jpg
Awhituobs

20191208_113030.jpg
Scud