megaflash

Discussion of weather and climate outside of NZ's waters. Australian weather, tropical cyclones and USA storm chasing feature here.
Richard

megaflash

Unread post by Richard »

Thought this was very interesting, just shows the size and width of storms some continental areas of the world can experience

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... aKK5Xs4rjM
tich

Re: megaflash

Unread post by tich »

I was just going to post this link - you beat me to it. Can't imagine this happening in NZ.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

I was reading a FB weather page where there was a discussion talking about the storms that develop in the area northern Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay and SW Brazil, one guy wrote, ' often a dry line forms in the SW of the Pampas plains that forms isolated storms (then supercells) in the summer afternoons... but it doesn't last long before they evolve into a large mesosystem at night'.
Interesting that that part of south America gets the largest storms on the planet yet tornadoes are quite uncommon, Scientists from all over the world are on a mission named RELAMPAGO to understand why.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

tich wrote: Sun 28/06/2020 11:33 I was just going to post this link - you beat me to it. Can't imagine this happening in NZ.
Yep, imagine one lightning discharge covering the size of the south Island. :eek: