Good weather spots in NZ

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Everyoneknows
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Good weather spots in NZ

Unread post by Everyoneknows »

Hi all,

We are looking for a place to settle and want to get it right - moving is no fun!

Mostly we're looking for a place, somewhat near a coast, that suits our weather preferences, which are:

* As little wind as possible
* As many sunshine hours as possible

Cold is fine. Small towns or tiny settlements are fine.

I'm from Whakatane but the house prices are just too steep there (plus it's on a massive flood plain).

We've been looking into Oamaru, but now I'm reading about a 'persistent easterly'. We currently live in Featherston, formerly Wellington, and we have a decent case of wind PTSD. Featherston must be THE gustiest place in New Zealand!

So where else is worth considering? Timaru? Banks Peninsula?

Any thoughts much appreciated!
TonyT

Re: Good weather spots in NZ

Unread post by TonyT »

Central Otago, Nelson, Northland.
snowstormwatcher

Unread post by snowstormwatcher »

I've spent 14 years in the Timaru and South Canterbury area and find the climate here very sheltered with not much wind or rain. Its a bit of Frost hollow in winter and can often has persistant cloud at times in summer with the Easterly. Oamaru is very similar but with less Frost in winter.
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Everyoneknows wrote: Fri 09/04/2021 08:58 Hi all,

We are looking for a place to settle and want to get it right - moving is no fun!

Mostly we're looking for a place, somewhat near a coast, that suits our weather preferences, which are:

* As little wind as possible
* As many sunshine hours as possible

Cold is fine. Small towns or tiny settlements are fine.

I'm from Whakatane but the house prices are just too steep there (plus it's on a massive flood plain).

We've been looking into Oamaru, but now I'm reading about a 'persistent easterly'. We currently live in Featherston, formerly Wellington, and we have a decent case of wind PTSD. Featherston must be THE gustiest place in New Zealand!

So where else is worth considering? Timaru? Banks Peninsula?

Any thoughts much appreciated!
I have friends who have sold up in Tauranga & relocated to Oamaru, they rave about how friendly the people are and how moderate the weather is. I visit them at least once a year down there. I've missed the boat as the prices down there have climbed considerably since they went. Good luck & choose carefully.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Geraldine is a nice place although we get 'clagg' and good frosts in the winter time, well here in Raukapuka.
I'm thinking Blenheim or Seddon, maybe?
JohnGaul
NZThS
Everyoneknows

Thanks all! Very helpful!
Everyoneknows

snowstormwatcher wrote: Fri 09/04/2021 09:36 I've spent 14 years in the Timaru and South Canterbury area and find the climate here very sheltered with not much wind or rain. Its a bit of Frost hollow in winter and can often has persistant cloud at times in summer with the Easterly. Oamaru is very similar but with less Frost in winter.

Snowstormwatcher - So the Easterly isn't enough to bother you then? We wouldn't be moving to the Wellington (or Featherston) of the south? :?

Here the winds are worst in the Spring - is that the same down Timaru/Oamaru way?
snowstormwatcher

Unread post by snowstormwatcher »

Everyoneknows wrote: Sat 10/04/2021 10:29
snowstormwatcher wrote: Fri 09/04/2021 09:36 I've spent 14 years in the Timaru and South Canterbury area and find the climate here very sheltered with not much wind or rain. Its a bit of Frost hollow in winter and can often has persistant cloud at times in summer with the Easterly. Oamaru is very similar but with less Frost in winter.

Snowstormwatcher - So the Easterly isn't enough to bother you then? We wouldn't be moving to the Wellington (or Featherston) of the south? :?

Here the winds are worst in the Spring - is that the same down Timaru/Oamaru way?
Wind isn't a issue In the Timaru/Oamaru area it's probably one of the least windiest coastal areas in nz. Yes spring and summer would be the windiest times of year here.

Regarding the Easterly, it's only really a issue in summertime and its more the persistant cloud cover that is a pain rather than wind. The cloud often lingers inland along the hunter hills behind Waimate up to Fairlie rather than coastal areas like Timaru.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Yes, I quite like Timaru as a town. Timaru's average annual sunshine is 1800hours, passable. The climate there is very dry
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

NZstorm wrote: Fri 16/04/2021 19:04
Yes, I quite like Timaru as a town. Timaru's average annual sunshine is 1800hours, passable. The climate there is very dry
What about Pleasant Point?
As they say as you drive into the town along SH8 from the Fairlie end, "The Name Says It All" and also they have a railway here if you like steam trains and Model T Ford railcars :D
JohnGaul
NZThS
Awhituobs

Unread post by Awhituobs »

Motueka?
(although afternoon sea breezes in summer)
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

I've always thought Nelson, Motueka area. But not only because of the weather but also the location to National Parks and beaches etc
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Awhituobs

Unread post by Awhituobs »

we have just hiked and camped the Able Tasman
great weather
amazing scenery :)