General December Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
cbm

Re: General December Weather

Unread post by cbm »

I'm just using metservice sites to calculate it. Say North Shore in the last 5 minutes and getting 17 degrees. Am I doing something wrong?
Just wondering if like maximum temperatures PWS tend to measure higher dewpoints than official sites due to where they are typically located, less exposed sites.
screenshot_57.png
screenshot_56.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David

Unread post by David »

David

Unread post by David »

cbm wrote: Wed 08/12/2021 15:40 I'm just using metservice sites to calculate it. Say North Shore in the last 5 minutes and getting 17 degrees. Am I doing something wrong?
Just wondering if like maximum temperatures PWS tend to measure higher dewpoints than official sites due to where they are typically located, less exposed sites.
Not sure, maybe just local differences? I noticed the dewpoint has fallen away a bit in the last few hours, I'm getting 17-18C now
Awhituobs

Unread post by Awhituobs »

still 21c DP with a westerly sea breeze here
and air temp is 25.6c,at nearly 5pm, which is a december record for me here
so it is rather tropical feeling here
Blowy

Unread post by Blowy »

When is that for please?
Razor wrote: Wed 08/12/2021 14:18
Awhituobs wrote: Wed 08/12/2021 14:12 GFS really excited about the TC currently
EC not so,currently
nearly 26C here today
DP here is currently 21c, due to the sea breeze
Yes, for posteriety. Lets see....
Awhituobs

around wed/thurs next week
but the models are flip flopping
so nothing set in concrete yet
jamie

General December Weather

Unread post by jamie »

My station is in the middle of a farm so it’s very accurate. 100’s of meters from the nearest roof or man made surface. I often find I can read 1-3 degrees cooler than Hamilton airport but other days read 1-3 degrees higher. It’s just what Local conditions transpire to on the day.

I see I got to 29.2 today. Crazy warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Been in Christchurch today visiting people and yes of course the traditional NE was blowing with some low cloud moving off Pegasus Bay.
Mild day here in Geraldine with it getting up to 21.7C. NW sky driving home this evening.
JohnGaul
NZThS
David

Unread post by David »

Down to 16.9C this morning which is the coolest so far this month :lol:

Really hoping that something eventuates next week, now down to just 3mm rain in the last 3 weeks
Awhituobs

currently running at 2.6c above average so far for December
and yesterday was 3.5c above average
amazing
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

cbm wrote: Wed 08/12/2021 15:40 I'm just using metservice sites to calculate it. Say North Shore in the last 5 minutes and getting 17 degrees. Am I doing something wrong?

screenshot_57.pngscreenshot_56.png
We assume the temperarure and humidity readings at MS were taken at the same time when used in your calculator. Dew point reading of 17.4C is a humid number.

The general Ak dew point today looks to be around 18C. Always best to look at several locations for dp.
Grey Lynn up to 27C this morning, sunny , light winds.
Chris W

Unread post by Chris W »

GFS today taking that ex-TC across the East Cape next Thursday-Friday and away.
Awhituobs

looks like good rain in the northerly prior to it anyway
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

29.2 today. 29 two days in a row. It’s bloody hot. I sure hope this means we are getting summer now and damp cooler weather from the north for the rest of summer.

cbm

Unread post by cbm »

spwill wrote:

screenshot_57.pngscreenshot_56.png
We assume the temperarure and humidity readings at MS were taken at the same time when used in your calculator. Dew point reading of 17.4C is a humid number.

The general Ak dew point today looks to be around 18C. Always best to look at several locations for dp.
Grey Lynn up to 27C this morning, sunny , light winds.
That is a good point, if the RH and temperature readings are not sampled at the same time, and the temperature is spiking a bit on a timescale that's of the order of the sampling rate, it will introduce some error.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

David

Unread post by David »

jamie wrote: Thu 09/12/2021 20:06 I sure hope this means we are getting summer now and damp cooler weather from the north for the rest of summer.
Not sure that’s likely, just had a look at my historic data and December has never been warmer than the following January or February
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

A generally cloudy and fine , warm day today with light winds. 24.7C the maximum here for today.
Low cloud however coming in later in the afternoon and evening with southerlies and some drizzle around 10pm.
JohnGaul
NZThS
Chris Raine

Unread post by Chris Raine »

Weak cold front John
I got 0.7mm and it was cold 11-12 C yesterday
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

Yea the SST's are crazy high for this time of year.
MetOcean Solutions wrote:Today and tomorrow (10 and 11 December), the western coastline of the North Island is due to experience water temperatures up to a whopping 4 degrees warmer than normal for this time of year, reports MetOcean Solutions, the oceanographic division of the NZ MetService.

Northland to Taranaki will experience sea temperatures above what is normally experienced even in the peak of summer.

The forecast (image below left) shows expected sea surface temperatures along this stretch of coastline to reach values higher than 22 degrees C, which are approximately 4 degrees C above average temperatures for this time of year (image below right).

MetOcean Solutions run daily marine heatwave forecasts out to 7 days, which are freely accessible on the Moana Project website (https://www.moanaproject.org/marine-heatwave-forecast). The project is a large research endeavour funded by New Zealand’s Ministry for Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE).

Dr Joao Souza, the Moana Project Science Lead, says, “The right-hand image in the forecast shows the deviation from average sea surface temperatures at this time of year. The forecast for Friday and Saturday is dominated by strong marine heatwaves across the North Island of New Zealand – we rarely see such a large area affected by temperatures 3-5 degrees above average.”

La Niña conditions this summer means we’ll likely see a number of marine heatwaves, however this particular heating event won’t last long. “Our marine heatwave forecast shows the warm water dissipates at the beginning of next week,” continues Dr Souza. “Although marine heatwave conditions may last longer, the temperatures will become more moderate. The short-term nature of the warming indicates that it is likely caused by warm air heating the sea surface, rather than warm water moving south.”

“Marine heatwaves may please beachgoers but continued high temperatures can harm marine organisms. As part of the Moana Project, we are examining the warming at depth, and providing this information to New Zealand’s fisheries and aquaculture sectors to help them manage their marine-based businesses.”
Live data on NZ's Ocean temps and the anomalies: https://www.moanaproject.org/marine-heatwave-forecast
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Tornado Tim wrote: Fri 10/12/2021 11:48 Yea the SST's are crazy high for this time of year.
MetOcean Solutions wrote: La Niña conditions this summer means we’ll likely see a number of marine heatwaves, however this particular heating event won’t last long. “Our marine heatwave forecast shows the warm water dissipates at the beginning of next week,” continues Dr Souza. “Although marine heatwave conditions may last longer, the temperatures will become more moderate. The short-term nature of the warming indicates that it is likely caused by warm air heating the sea surface, rather than warm water moving south.”
Given that the specific heat capacity of water is 4 times that of air, its pretty unlikely that the air is heating the water...
Awhituobs

lower windspeed, which we have been getting, is a big factor too...less mixing of below surface colder water
(wind cools the surface of the water more too, if that air is colder than the water)

and also the NE winds has meant the the currents having been from the north, instead of the south, so pushing warming water down
as a surfer, we are seeing more rips with a north to south direction than the usual south to north direction
i.e swell angle is the key, in determing the direction of the rips/drift on the beach, and so we have been getting more westerly/NW angled swell, due to the northerly winds in the tasman

ps the tropical low near the Solomon islands is really taking shape now, will be a TC tomorrow
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Just went for a swim at raglan and it was the warmest I can ever remember raglan water being. I normally freeze there but it was stunningly warm.

Awhituobs

I see you are at 30c Jamie
26.2c we got to, with a sea breeze even
crazy
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Nice to have finally have the low cloud clear away this afternoon, just scattered high cloud now
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Awhituobs wrote:I see you are at 30c Jamie
26.2c we got to, with a sea breeze even
crazy
Yup right now 30/21. Talk about tropical. Max so far has been 30.2.