General September Weather

Weather reports, prognostics, questions and discussion. Climate diagnostics, drivers, and outlooks. Weather stations and websites.
David

Re: General September Weather

Unread post by David »

Another fine day with hazy skies again, up to 20.7 locally.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

New North Island Sep record with Wairoa hitting 29.6C today.
Gisborne also smashed its previous Sep record with 27.1 today.

https://twitter.com/NiwaWeather/status/ ... 2376332595
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

Metservice sticking to their guns with their latest heavy snow warning put out at 9pm with a mention of 10cm possibly down to 100m! I just can’t see it at all based on current data…
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Another fine and windy day with today's maximum being 26C.
Winds eased at 6.12pm with a southerly flick but dying out later and remaining calm from then on.
Clouding over this evening.
Interesting to see what tomorrow will bring??
JohnGaul
NZThS
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Nev wrote: Thu 21/09/2023 20:21 New North Island Sep record with Wairoa hitting 29.6C today.
Gisborne also smashed its previous Sep record with 27.1 today.

https://twitter.com/NiwaWeather/status/ ... 2376332595
Have to admit that I'm a little suspicious of NIWA's Wairoa (North Clyde) reading, particularly as Wairoa Aero only reached 26.9C yesterday... :-k
David

Unread post by David »

Meant to be doing a cruise around Great Barrier island Monday. Modelling still flip flopping on a nice day vs a rainy day. Fingers crossed for the former outcome!
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

A very moist looking convergence zone will move across the upper North Island later tomorrow with a period of heavy rain.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Must be heavy snow up Oxford way right now going by radar. Plus I've got fat sleet drops in west chch.
Down to 7C was 10C 20 minutes ago
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

Oxford on 8C at present so it's a fair bit of even sleet let alone snow
darcyplumb

Unread post by darcyplumb »

Temp has dropped here in the last hour but a long way to go for snow even for the likes of Methven and Mt Somers. 7 degrees here.
snowstormwatcher

Unread post by snowstormwatcher »

Yeah doesn't seem particularly cold here, Around 6c. Friend drove from Fairlie to Geraldine about a Hour ago and said some sleet mixed in the rain at the "Farmbarn" which is around 450m ASL so snow level still above 500-600m
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

18mm of rain since dawn this morning. Not heavy but quite steady all day.
JohnGaul
NZThS
Storm Struck

Could have been wrong but certainly had that behavior of sleet as it slapped onto the roof.
Doesn't advection snow act differently with temperatures initially, I remember seeing this conversation on here before.
The temperature can be warmer at the surface initially but drops like a stone once the sleet and snow begins to fall. Rather than needing to be around 0C to 1C.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

A grey overcast day with a total of 28.5mm of rain here from the drizzle forming around dawn, to the drizzle with the rain easing easing around 10pm.
11C the maximum for today but the daytime maximum was 9C before gradually lowering during the day and evening.
4C at 10pm.
JohnGaul
NZThS
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Got 34.6mm from the rain yesterday and overnight
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Plenty of snow at 600 metres above sea level today....inland Mid Canterbury
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

A grey overcast equinoxical day with some rain overnight and drizzly showers this afternoon and evening. 10.5C for today.
Light winds or calm.
JohnGaul
NZThS
tich

Unread post by tich »

Dean. wrote: Sat 23/09/2023 18:02 Plenty of snow at 600 metres above sea level today....inland Mid Canterbury
Was down as low as about 200m (Kurow) yesterday, but only on the upper edge of the Canterbury Plains further north.
Southeasterly rain shadow must be working today in Chch - only the odd hint of precipitation, apart from a period of thick drizzle for a time earlier this evening.
David

Unread post by David »

Picked up 27mm here overnight.
Mirage

Unread post by Mirage »

I checked the weather this morning for Christchurch, as we were planning a trip across town. What I thought was going to be an partial sun/overcast day with occasional showers turned into an eventful couple of minutes.
This was over at Styx Mill Dog Park. Timeframes are approximate as we were walking our dogs in this area.
Overcast to start, then a downpour with a southerly wind. I took shelter next to a tree. The rain eased a little, and then I heard what sounded like rushing water, and when I turned to see what it was I saw the flashes of green/white - the grass. It seemed to be a very intense (speed wise) whirlwind about 60 cm radius. It travelled across maybe 5 meters, and over a tree which made a racket, after that I'm not sure. This was maybe just seconds. The wind picked up after, and another downpour, but this time northerly - the complete opposite to what was before the whirlwind, as I had to move to the other side of tree to escape the rain. After a few minutes, it turned to general rain - no wind. Then a few minutes after this (11.24am) tiny hail.
While I don't have the weather knowledge many of you all have, I enjoy reading everyones posts, and experiences, so thought I'd share this.
Orion

Unread post by Orion »

Mirage wrote: Sun 24/09/2023 12:59 I checked the weather this morning for Christchurch, as we were planning a trip across town. What I thought was going to be an partial sun/overcast day with occasional showers turned into an eventful couple of minutes.
This was over at Styx Mill Dog Park. Timeframes are approximate as we were walking our dogs in this area.
Overcast to start, then a downpour with a southerly wind. I took shelter next to a tree. The rain eased a little, and then I heard what sounded like rushing water, and when I turned to see what it was I saw the flashes of green/white - the grass. It seemed to be a very intense (speed wise) whirlwind about 60 cm radius. It travelled across maybe 5 meters, and over a tree which made a racket, after that I'm not sure. This was maybe just seconds. The wind picked up after, and another downpour, but this time northerly - the complete opposite to what was before the whirlwind, as I had to move to the other side of tree to escape the rain. After a few minutes, it turned to general rain - no wind. Then a few minutes after this (11.24am) tiny hail.
While I don't have the weather knowledge many of you all have, I enjoy reading everyones posts, and experiences, so thought I'd share this.
Welcome to the forum!

Well-observed and described, Mirage, and I look forward to the comments and conclusions of others :smile:
tich

Unread post by tich »

Must be some convergence zone stuck over Chch, keeping it wet.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Thunderstorm risk for the upper North Island Tuesday.Upper level cold air, moisture and convergence showing. Timing and heating will also influence where thunder activity might occur. See how it looks tomorrow.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

NIWA are predicting another "Atmospheric River" to hit the Gisborne/Tairawhiti area tomorrow. MS have orange warnings out.
JohnGaul
NZThS
Storm Struck

Mirage wrote: Sun 24/09/2023 12:59 I checked the weather this morning for Christchurch, as we were planning a trip across town. What I thought was going to be an partial sun/overcast day with occasional showers turned into an eventful couple of minutes.
There was a photograph today of a potential funnel cloud on the stormchasers page, given these type of set ups plenty of convergence was happening today.
Maybe something did briefly touch down where you were.
The showers certainly had enough depth to them to be quite heavy at times, and cause localised surface flooding.

A good 30+mm for much of the region the past few days, has certainly helped for now after such a mild dry spell.
Possibly a cooler week compared to last week all bar Friday.