General June Weather

Weather reports, prognostics, questions and discussion. Climate diagnostics, drivers, and outlooks. Weather stations and websites.
Razor

General June Weather

Unread post by Razor »

June is almost on us, and after a cool May things are certainly going to be starting warmer than average looking at the model data
Christchurch Rocks
Bradley

Re: General June Weather

Unread post by Bradley »

There has never been a May that has been colder then June at Christchurch Airport going back to 1954 but I would be very surprised if this wasn't the case this year...
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Bradley wrote: โ†‘Mon 27/05/2024 10:06 There has never been a May that has been colder then June at Christchurch Airport going back to 1954 but I would be very surprised if this wasn't the case this year...
Perhaps better in the May thread but it will be pushing 20 degrees accross Canterbury by the end of this week
Christchurch Rocks
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Temps above 20 degrees forecast for a number of areas Saturday for June 1. Thats going to be a pleasant start to what looks like a much warmer spell. 21 for Christchurch, 23 for Hawkes Bay
Christchurch Rocks
Kobi

Unread post by Kobi »

June starting warmer then any day in may could get, highest we got was only 17.4C throughout may
JP.

Re: General May Weather

Unread post by JP. »

Storm Struck wrote: โ†‘Thu 30/05/2024 23:28 Unsure of the Maximum record for June in Canterbury or Christchurch, perhaps Nev can you dig up those wonderful stats ๐Ÿ˜€.
I know its not an MS site, but the warmest Temperature Jeff's old Hoon Hay site recorded was 21.4c on 10th June 2016. June 2023 was very warm but Jeff's station was offline by then :(

Mod Note Moved to June weather
Kobi

Unread post by Kobi »

JP. wrote: โ†‘Fri 31/05/2024 08:24
Storm Struck wrote: โ†‘Thu 30/05/2024 23:28 Unsure of the Maximum record for June in Canterbury or Christchurch, perhaps Nev can you dig up those wonderful stats ๐Ÿ˜€.
I know its not an MS site, but the warmest Temperature Jeff's old Hoon Hay site recorded was 21.4c on 10th June 2016. June 2023 was very warm but Jeff's station was offline by then :(

Highest maximum in June 2023 that we got was 18.8C, so that June 2016 remains with that holder for warmest June temperature recently.
The Christchurch airport station also got 20.6C on that same day in 2016, though i saw it was mentioned in the may thread that the all time record for June was in 1988, which saw a cold May too just before it.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

^ The 2nd highest temp ever recorded in June at Chch Aero was 22.0C on both June 22, 2016 and June 02, 1976.
(highest was 22.5C on June 07, 1988)
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

What a start to meteorological winter.

Temps in the low to mid 20s, multiple wildfires around greater Canterbury and a strong NW causing issues at the Airport in Chch.

May is already a distant memory
Christchurch Rocks
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Razor wrote: โ†‘Sat 01/06/2024 12:35 What a start to meteorological winter.

Temps in the low to mid 20s, multiple wildfires around greater Canterbury and a strong NW causing issues at the Airport in Chch.

May is already a distant memory
That's "Climate Change" for you ;)
JohnGaul
NZThS
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Now there's a stupid term. Worse than stupid, confusing. What it means is calendar winter, or anthropormorphic winter. Winter as defined by human beings. If it were to be defined by meteorology then it would be of varying lengths and varying start and finish dates each year, which would much better correspond to how people experience winter. This year, meteorological winter began in May, when the meteorology took on winter characteristics. Calendar winter began today, the artificially defined season invented by Victorian statisticians to try to create order out of chaos.

Or we could stop being all fancy-pants about it, and just call it winter.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Just stepped back outside as the NW has kicked up again quite strong and gusty kicking up leaves etc.
Certainly very warm back up to 20C, that is warm for the time of year and after sun set.

Had to cover the spring bulbs with mulch the other day as they were popping up shoots already. They are fairly resilient though and is not uncommon, however I wouldn't expect to see this until earliest late July.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Yes, "winter" started today with NW gales here from mid morning and warm temperatures in the sun with today peaking out at 22C.
JohnGaul
NZThS
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

TonyT wrote: โ†‘Sat 01/06/2024 17:54
Now there's a stupid term. Worse than stupid, confusing. What it means is calendar winter, or anthropormorphic winter. Winter as defined by human beings. If it were to be defined by meteorology then it would be of varying lengths and varying start and finish dates each year, which would much better correspond to how people experience winter. This year, meteorological winter began in May, when the meteorology took on winter characteristics. Calendar winter began today, the artificially defined season invented by Victorian statisticians to try to create order out of chaos.

Sorry I was just using what I understood "meteorological " winter" to mean. Now I feel like **** simply because I parotted what is said elsewhere. I will never post like this again please accept my apology
Christchurch Rocks
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Razor wrote: โ†‘Sun 02/06/2024 00:35
TonyT wrote: โ†‘Sat 01/06/2024 17:54

Sorry I was just using what I understood "meteorological " winter" to mean. Now I feel like **** simply because I parotted what is said elsewhere. I will never post like this again please accept my apology
No apology needed, I know you didnt invent the term. :-).

Sometimes I feel that weather would be so much easier to understand if we used simple words, instead of the jargon of the day. Unfortunately we live in a society where certain groups invent and use jargon words to try to bolster their self-importance, and instead of calling them out, the media repeats and therefore validates it.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

You're so right there, and then get demonized for not using the 'correct' terminology.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

There's no ideal way of putting a time-frame on seasons, as they can vary considerably depending on what part of the world you live.

However, I personally don't have an issue with using the term 'meteorological' seasons at all. If fact, I think it should be encouraged to help distinguish the most commonly used time-frame by met agencies worldwide from what some people insist on referring to as 'astrological seasons' (i.e., starting on solstices or equinoxes), which to me makes even less sense. I do have an issue with term 'official' seasons though, because there's nothing particularly 'official' about it.
Kobi

Unread post by Kobi »

Timaru got to 22.5C yesterday, how high would that rank compared to there record highs?

Christchurch got to 21.3C yesterday, and today is back to normal with 12C, and should remain in that range for the next week
harleyb

Unread post by harleyb »

Nev wrote: โ†‘Sun 02/06/2024 13:19 There's no ideal way of putting a time-frame on seasons, as they can vary considerably depending on what part of the world you live.

However, I personally don't have an issue with using the term 'meteorological' seasons at all. If fact, I think it should be encouraged to help distinguish the most commonly used time-frame by met agencies worldwide from what some people insist on referring to as 'astrological seasons' (i.e., starting on solstices or equinoxes), which to me makes even less sense. I do have an issue with term 'official' seasons though, because there's nothing particularly 'official' about it.
Anybody for a "weather bomb"?
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

More of a fine winters day today today as compared to yesterday. Only 12.6C today with light winds. Sky a hazy blue rather than a blue dome day you get with clear skies and fine weather.
JohnGaul
NZThS
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Peaโ€“souper here this morning!

A few domestic flights delayed at the airport by the looks...
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Looks like a rather settled week ahead, average daytime maximums and cold overnight lows but nothing below freezing.
Should be around 2 to 6C most nights.

Next weekend is a potential system to watch for.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

No fog here. The dew point has been around 15C so not surprised if some places have fog this morning. Some light showers here last night otherwise dry and mild with high cloudiness for long weekend.
Kobi

Unread post by Kobi »

An average winters day here today, 12C high, with southwesterly winds, and a forecasted low of 0
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Looks like westerlies will be mostly AWOL for the rest of the month. Interesting times ahead.