What Planet Do these Weather Presenters on TV live on?

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Michael
Has thanked: 0

What Planet Do these Weather Presenters on TV live on?

Unread post by Michael »

Just watched TV1's weather" Another fine summery day repeated after the Sports News and again at the report -What about us shivering in the north? A million of us live here-let alone Waikato,Taranaki,The west coast and Southland.

Also the temps are under estimated tomorrow-theres going to be a NW flow over the south Is Sunday 1st June and giving Christchurch 18 -It will be probably 20 or 21 at least-Dunedin shoul beat us before their SW change-Wellington will probably top us again like today and our 18 probably be 17 tomorrow as it will be yt again SW. ;)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

It is quite cold here Michael, I've just finished shoveling the snow off the front veranda.

But I take your point about SI temperatures. Why go for a max of 14C at Ashburton and then Christchurch 18C. I think the NZ Met Service have always been weak with their temperature predictions.

I still think kaikoura readings are anamolous. They represent someones back yard, but not greater Kaikoura area.
Matthew Pearce
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Matthew Pearce »

Hi Michael

I can't really comment on your first complaint...it sounds to me like it is a fairly subjective thing that you are commenting on. A phrase like "summery" to one person may mean something totally different to someone else.

In regards to your second statement, the TV presenter will be simply repeating the information that is provided to them by Metservice. Hence, I assume at this point you are complaining about them rather than the presenter. In their defence, the June average maximum for Christchurch is 11 degrees(yes I know, slightly dodgy use of statistics given its the 1st but still...May is only 14 degrees). Hence, a forecaster will never forecast 21 degrees as it is 10 above average. The potential is way too high to come up with a massive error when their forecast is verified. It is much safer to forecast a temp closer to average(like 18...still high!) and if the temp ends up going higher your skill score is better off than if you had forecast too high and it ended up not getting that high. Having said all that, I think Christchurch would be extremely lucky to get 21 degrees tomorrow. The airmass is not *that* warm...and there is not exceptionally large amounts of moisture on the western side of the ranges to get a decent foehn effect happening. When all is said and done, I think the 18 is a pretty good stab at tomorrow. Will be interesting to see what happens...

Matt
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Yeah thats right,I sometimes think Metservice forget Ashburton is 25 kms inland from the sea,and quite often get higher temps than the likes of Christchurch and Timaru.
And what a joke taking Timarus max temp for the day at their airport which is situated about 10 kms inland from the city.I quite often drive through the city in summer with a chilly seabreeze and yet they still manage temps in the high 20's on the evening news.
But thats my moan for the day.
Cheers. :)
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

PS...If you want to know what cold is Michael head to the mainland when a southwester is due.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Just for the record here, Ashburton recorded 20C and CH 19C.

Temperatures tomorrow should be around 20C again in Canterbury.

Looks like a mild week ahead. In Auckland we are getting alot of Sc from this westerly with mild nights and coolish days.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Lucky people down there :) Winterless North Huh?Christchurch has bettter weather than Akl Can put up with the colder mornings but at least you get sunny days out of it and less wind.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I think the horticulturalists won't like the mild spell in the Sth island or Hawkes Bay to last too long as it could stimulate bud movement on the crops. Plums and Cherries in particular can be brought into blossum early to be chopped out by the next frost.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Especially if theres late frosts in September. :(
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

September is still a frosty month anyway for most of NZ. Its the heavier frosts in October and November that do the damage. Horticulture lost out big time last spring with frost.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Yep,Blossom trees have sprouted around town,especially within the last two or three days,I have one on our front lawn,this is crazy weather,I cant beleive how mild it is.
I havent lit the fire in the past 3 nights.
Cheers.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

We only lit the fire about 3 or 4 times this year but its usually in the gale force SW we use it especially with the driving rain we get. ;)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Michael, a gale is an average wind speed of 34knots+ sustained over a period of atleast 10minutes. If you do get gales where you are and you live in the Auckland region, your house must be quite elevated. Top of Clevedon hill?

Anyway its a fine day today....get your 'I LOVE AK' t-shirt out.

Cheers
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

I often call the SW "Gales" Bob McDavitt knows what I'm talking about when I tell him we have "Gales" even when they are 20 knots. ;)
I don't like it when we get the real wind especially with the deepening lows of the east of the country and an intensifying ridge in the tasman at the same time and Australia is getting the north wind off the backend of it-they give us the worst SW.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Back here to the usual Drizzel,Low Cloud and Southwest Wind yet again :(
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Ak recorded 20C today, not bad for June. I think june is becoming an autumnal month with global warming or what evers behind the warmer winters we seem to be getting now. :) Ski operators will not be happy with these mild westerly weather patterns. :( Electricity suppliers should be. :)

Looks like some rain to come this week.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Steven Perhaps you are right about Ski Operators but the Electricity Co's wont as it means the spot prices go out for their shareholders minimising their profits ;) -They want southerlies in the far south not NW's -Looks like the crisis may be eased soon with more NW forecasted. :)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Hi Micheal,
You want to go and live in Nelson.
I have just come back to ChCh after a lovely holiday there in glorious weather except on the tuesday night it blew and poured with rain but overall it was very pleasant with people out on Tahumanui Beach on the Monday and yesterday.
Very un-winterlike!

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Back to the title of this posting, the TV weather presenters do not really know what is happening in the rest of the country, it's just their interpretation of information given to them, which can be incorrect in some instances, but at the same time some info is useful such as they usually tell you where a thunderstorm for example occured during the day.
I have found that a day like today in ChCh which was overcast and gloomy, which has been forshadowed by the fact that it has been a great day over much of the North Island, especially from a line New Plymough/Gisborne northwards.
If the weather forecasts were transmitted from ...say .. Bluff, would there be a Southland influence in the TV weather forecasts?

JohnGaul
NZTS
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

a pretty cloudy day here most of the day john,with a few showers around.... but very warm for this time of year
NW got up to 32 knots here at one point today too....
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Yes Brian, it looks as though winter is living up to my prediction of it being warm and possibly wet which is a nuisance as I like COLD winters and warm summers, not the other way round.

JohnGaul
NZTS
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Its not so much the cold thats bad-Its the rain all the time and especially the West or South west wind up here that are the worst ;)
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Back to the title of this posting, the TV weather presenters do not really know what is happening in the rest of the country, it's just their interpretation of information given to them, which can be incorrect in some instances

I think its usually a Wellington bias as they always say the nasty weather is coming when ie we have a NW flow over the country and usually NW's arnt too bad here like yesterday afternoon and when describing a W-SW airstream they say Lovely weather over just about all the country with all the garbage out east yet we get the garbage up here then.
I think I saw lightning up here out west last night too-that also wasn't mentioned too.
As for the term good weather it should be used in the context of what is required ie in Canterbury when its been drought conditions they should say ie "Good weather is on the way with a double low over the south Is and a front is slow moving underneath it over the eastcoast bring rain or conversley Auckland has got a much needed High over it to give a drying out from constant rain"
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

yes, the WSW is here now, and you will be getting it good michael in manurewa as it funnels in the entrance to the manukau harbour...
the aiports mean speed always beats me in a WSW

i agree with you michael about the terms:
i.e what might be good weather to a city person is not good weather to someone needing rain, like a farmer in drought
sometimes they do mention good drought breaking rain, etc
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]