Strong cold southwesterly this week

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Strong cold southwesterly this week

Unread post by Michael »

Looks like it will keep on going unfortunately,the wind is peaking to Galeforce at times still with squally rain and likely to increase in the day :cry: :( :evil: :-({|=
tich

Unread post by tich »

Looks like 50/50 weather for Chch this week - fine, mild spells alternating with brief cold southerly changes. These changes shouldn't be as cold as the weekend wintry outbreak though.
It has certainly warmed up in Chch today, even though a slightly cooler southerly must've dropped the thermometers by a few degrees from about midafternoon.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Yep a bit warmer today, but still rather cold especially when the sun disappeared. A bitter westerly wind died off later in the day.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Andy wrote:Yep a bit warmer today, but still rather cold especially when the sun disappeared. A bitter westerly wind died off later in the day.
Yeah went south at about 2pm till around 7 i think but looks like its back westerly!
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Just the same here cold gale SW everyday :cry:
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

SLATE GREY SKIES WITH HORIZONTAL RAIN AND SW AT GALE FORCE AS I WRITE :evil: :evil: :cry:
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Clear blue sky with the birds chirping.. and only a slight frost. ;)

Ah thats a bit better :D
03Stormchaser

Michael wrote:SLATE GREY SKIES WITH HORIZONTAL RAIN AND SW AT GALE FORCE AS I WRITE :evil: :evil: :cry:
SW 15.0 mph / 24.1 km/h -
WSW 15.0 mph / 24.1 km/h -
WSW 16.1 mph / 25.9 km/h -
WSW 13.8 mph / 22.2 km/h -
West 15.0 mph / 24.1 km/h -
SW 18.4 mph / 29.6 km/h -
WSW 17.3 mph / 27.8 km/h -
WSW 15.0 mph / 24.1 km/h

The last 10 readings for Auckland, hardly gale force!!!!
And its only going to continue sw winds predicted all week for you, so please for the sake of humanity ease off about GALE force winds, I dont see every other Auckland user going on and on about it
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Its always stronger at Micheal's place... :)
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

If we have the type of spring that I think we might get then all of us up here will be turning into Michaels. :twisted: :evil: :evil: :twisted:
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Just enjoy it Stephen (the comments from Micheal), and then comment on how it's a brilliant day down here with it being 19 degrees (it'll probably get over 20) allready with a blue sky and only a few small bit's of high cloud, winds are light from the west. And then be amused at the reaction! :lol:

Your right Spwill, this SW is going to continue for a while yet by the looks of it.
Aaron Wilkinson
03Stormchaser

Aaron J Wilkinson wrote:Just enjoy it Stephen (the comments from Micheal), and then comment on how it's a brilliant day down here with it being 19 degrees (it'll probably get over 20) allready with a blue sky and only a few small bit's of high cloud, winds are light from the west. And then be amused at the reaction! :lol:

Your right Spwill, this SW is going to continue for a while yet by the looks of it.
Well were on 20 C now Aaron, Ashbourton is on 22 C :lol: :lol:\

Aaron whats your thought on metsevice's SW Pacific MSL Prognosis +30hrs and there +72 hours??
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Looks like it got to 23.4 C at Jeff's station today! You would've enjoyed it down here today Micheal. ;)

The wind has now changed and is definately coming from the East or North East. Hopefully the dewpoint will rise accordingly and then with the arrival of the front tonight we may get some action after the hot day we've had??? :-k :mrgreen:

Anyway, yes Stephen. Those prog nogs do look good. Lets hope something pulls of. TonyT knows whats going on! 8)

Hmm, just woundering if I should change my username, "Aaron J Wilkinson" doesn't sound very thunderstormy, I like NZstorm and 03Stormchaser etc, what should I be. Any suggestions?
Aaron Wilkinson
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

You see why everyone here gets a chance the fly overseas all the time ;)
spwill wrote:If we have the type of spring that I think we might get then all of us up here will be turning into Michaels. :twisted: :evil: :evil: :twisted:
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Yeah rub it in Rub it in :P [quote="03 Stormchaser
Well were on 20 C now Aaron, Ashbourton is on 22 C :lol: :lol:\
[/quote]
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Aaron J Wilkinson wrote:The wind has now changed and is definately coming from the East or North East. Hopefully the dewpoint will rise accordingly and then with the arrival of the front tonight we may get some action after the hot day we've had???

Hmm, just woundering if I should change my username, "Aaron J Wilkinson" doesn't sound very thunderstormy, I like NZstorm and 03Stormchaser etc, what should I be. Any suggestions?
The timing is all wrong - even in the middle of summer a SW change in the early hours of the morning is not very likely to bring TS to Chch. In September its just about impossible.

How about Thunderclap Wilkinson :lol: Your sig could be "theres something in the air". :-) Now, does that date me as child of the sixties?
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

We wish you a good NE summer like 1988/89 with plenty of ENE and drizzel for you and you would get sick of it :? Well most Aucklanders that I hear everyday dont know of the forum otherwise if they did you would have to search for items about thunder,hail,tornadoes etc etc ;)
03 Stormchaser wrote:
Michael wrote:SLATE GREY SKIES WITH HORIZONTAL RAIN AND SW AT GALE FORCE AS I WRITE :evil: :evil: :cry:
SW 15.0 mph / 24.1 km/h -
WSW 16.1 mph / 25.9 km/h -
West 15.0 mph / 24.1 km/h -
SW 18.4 mph / 29.6 km/h -
WSW 17.3 mph / 27.8 km/h -
WSW 15.0 mph / 24.1 km/h

The last 10 readings for Auckland, hardly gale force!!!!
And its only going to continue sw winds predicted all week for you, so please for the sake of humanity ease off about GALE force winds, I dont see every other Auckland user going on and on about it