20/20 weather

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Thunder

20/20 weather

Unread post by Thunder »

Hi

Anyone see that 20/20 weather thing last night on TV?

Tony, did you see it, did they ask you if you would want to go on the show at all? Any comments or opinions about it at all?

Was cool to watch
Aaron Wilkinson
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Was a good program Aaron. Although the person presenting it wasnt all that good, thought better questions could have been asked and that they could have done more research regrading the questions asked.
Surprised that Tony wasnt on it though :?
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

I didnt see it :-(

I was contacted about 6 months ago by someone from TV3 wanting some background on forecastiing in NZ, which I gave them, and suggested I would be happy to appear on film if they wanted to ask me some specifics, but never heard any more from them. Oh well. Sounds like it was a bit of a MetService roast.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Yes it was in a sense. The show gathered metservices own data etc measured by their AWS for Auck, Chch, and Wellington and then compared the results with metservices claims of 85% accuracy etc for forecasts. The shows results were typically of a lower percentage of accuracy than metservice claimed to have.

The explanation for this was the time taken gathering data of 1 month (which is how long TV3 took to gather info I believe) was too short.

So yeah, the reporter was trying to make them look not very good.
Aaron Wilkinson
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

I saw it, 20/20 was also having a crack at the Met Service for not giving enough warning on the Feb Storms in HawkesBay and Picton.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Yep was definitely a metservice dig, and could have been constructed and presented better. But what do you expect form the likes of 20-20 or 60 minutes type programs. Most of the time they are one side journalism ! :(
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Kay Gregory reported from NZ's coldest places tonight, Ophir and some place in the alps, she said that we would be quite suprised at the warmest place in NZ in Tuesday's item. The average viewer would say Kaitaia, Alexandra or Napier or something... On the basis they chose Ophir tonight, could it be Rangiora/Bethlehem/Darfield?