New Weather book

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
GraemeWi

New Weather book

Unread post by GraemeWi »

Weather - The Macmillan visual guide. ISBN 1405035919 $49.99 Came out in the last couple of days.

Not a massive highly technical volume, but full of some pretty nice photographs and some interesting satellite images of squall lines, Indian monsoon systems etc. Have a look at it - I got a copy today.

Another interesting one which is an older title is The Australian Weather book ISBN 1876334681 from Australian bookshops - I got one on my last business trip - very interesting reading.

Cheers,

G
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I've got the 'Australian Weather Book'.

'Macmillan Visual Guide' must be a lot like the 'Collins Guide to Weather.'
389 cloud/weather photos. I purchased this recently for $79.95.

Another book I purchased many years ago is 'Spacious Skies' which is a photographic guide to cb's in the USA/Canada. Whitcoulls had it on special as no one was buying it. :D
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

I have The N.Z Weather book and a USA Today weather book and an old TV1 book about the weather :D
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

NZstorm wrote:Another book I purchased many years ago is 'Spacious Skies' which is a photographic guide to cb's in the USA/Canada. Whitcoulls had it on special as no one was buying it. :D
Got the ISBN of that one? I'll have a hunt for it. I work for Whitcoulls so I tend to have a healthy fetish for books... which is a good thing I guess! Good books on weather are far and few between, during my time as a book buyer in various stores I never saw any that were worth stocking except for the kids educational type ones. Since then over the past 6 or 7 years there have been some good ones come out.
Michael wrote:I have The N.Z Weather book and a USA Today weather book and an old TV1 book about the weather
That NZ weather one by Erick Brenstrum is very good - I love the drawing of the CB with the plane flying over the top of it and a tornado churning away underneath it.

Is that TV1 book published back in the 80's? ISBN 0723307229 The future section is a huge laugh... almost like the Jetsons. Mind you I couldn't figure out what the future was going to be like during the 80's - most of my college years were full of thoughts of nuclear war. Looking back I wonder how the hell my college was so dominated by that kind of view.

Cheers from a still living and un-nuked G
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

An excellent Australian weather book is 'The Wonders of the Weather' brought out by the Bureau of Meteorology. A top Book.

Also recommend 'The Weather and Climate of Australia and New Zealand'
by Andrew Sturman.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I have a copy of "Spacious Skies" of which I bought in a university type of book-shop in Oxford, England back in 1993.
Written by Richard Scorer & Arjen Verkaik.
A good book, well worth having in my Meteorlogical Book section.

I do have that Andy Sturman book on NZ and Aussie weather, very handy book to have but it is a bit technical.

"Weather" is another good book written by 5 different authors from Australia in 1996.

Other books I have:
"The World of Weather" by Brian Cosgrove from the UK in 1977
"The Weather Book" another British weather book published in 1985.
"Wild Weather" by John Lynch which accompanied the TV series broadcasted in 2002
"Wierd Weather" by Paul Simons about extreme and unusual weather, published in 1997 in paperback form. An interesting read :)
"Flash, Crash,Rumble, and Roll" An ex-Library, children's book about thunder and lightning I found in a garage sale, published in 1965 :)
"The Taming of the Thunderbolts", another ex-Library book, about the science and superstition of Ball Lightning, published in 1969
An old weather book about Weather forecasting in New Zealand by Alex Neale from 1987.

There are other books too, like the 2 TV One weather books that Michael mentioned plus a book by Martin A. Uman written in 1971 origionally with the simple title of "All about Lightning"

I have flicked through that Erick Brenstrum book on NZ weather but decided not to buy it :(

JohnGaul
NZTS
tich

Unread post by tich »

Good books on weather are far and few between, during my time as a book buyer in various stores I never saw any that were worth stocking except for the kids educational type ones. Since then over the past 6 or 7 years there have been some good ones come out.
It would be great to have a book which deals comprehensively with the various forms of severe weather in NZ, but which is geared towards the general reader, ie not technical. With the fierce storms we've had this year and the threat of more extreme events should global climate change scenarios come true, I believe there could be a alot of interest in such a book. Perhaps even a weather magazine as well, again geared towards the non-technical reader?
Is that TV1 book published back in the 80's?
I think it came out in the late 70s or early 80s - the examples of severe weather events came from the 50s to about 1977.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Theres the metservice calender as well,has some quite good pictures but when it first started it had history on each 365 days :roll:
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

It was printed 1978/1979 I think.It has a TV1 woman on the front.
Well the future portrayed in the 70's was totally different from what really happened in the late 80's with costcutting :shock:
GraemeWi wrote:
Is that TV1 book published back in the 80's? ISBN 0723307229 The future section is a huge laugh... almost like the Jetsons. Mind you I couldn't figure out what the future was going to be like during the 80's - most of my college years were full of thoughts of nuclear war. Looking back I wonder how the hell my college was so dominated by that kind of view.

Cheers from a still living and un-nuked G
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

It would be great to have a book which deals comprehensively with the various forms of severe weather in NZ
I think Eric Brenstrum's book goes some way to filling this Gap. An excellent book that is informative without being technical.

I have Met Society newsletters dating back to 1989. These as a collection are a good record of NZ weather. :)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

tich wrote:
It would be great to have a book which deals comprehensively with the various forms of severe weather in NZ, but which is geared towards the general reader, ie not technical. With the fierce storms we've had this year and the threat of more extreme events should global climate change scenarios come true, I believe there could be a alot of interest in such a book. Perhaps even a weather magazine as well, again geared towards the non-technical reader?

A good idea Ben :idea: :idea: \:D/
Any good authors out there ????
I could contribute to a few sections?

JohnGaul
NZTS
tich

Unread post by tich »

I think Eric Brenstrum's book goes some way to filling this Gap. An excellent book that is informative without being technical.
Yes, a great book I recall. But it describes storms only in the context of NZ's general weather and climate. I'm thinking more of a major publication that focuses on individual events and how they affected various parts of NZ.
I have Met Society newsletters dating back to 1989. These as a collection are a good record of NZ weather.
Trevor McGavin's write-ups (in these newsletters) on major weather events for individual seasons are very informative, usually with more detail than in the NIWA monthly summaries (which are more summaries of statistics). I myself have contributed quite a bit to his reports.
Compie
Been thanked: 0

Books of interest

Unread post by Compie »

Hey all.

I too can recommend the Sturman Tapper book, just awesome. And have just bought a copy of the McMillian new weather book, which I think is great. As they say a little light on the hard stuff but very nice design and makes the weather accessible.

Of interest I have just also read a couple of books on the weather.

Strauss, S. and B. Orlove (2003). Weather, Climate, Culture. Oxford, BERG.

Shaw, N. (1934). The drama of weather. Ny, The University Press.
(this is a great book as it gets into weather lore)

as does this

Taub, L. C. (2003). Ancient meteorology. London ; New York, Routledge.

hope you find something fun in these.

Paul