Third Day of Convective Rain

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Third Day of Convective Rain

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Today has been the third day of convective rain here in ChCh.
Unfortunately, conditions have just lead only to just that.
The highlight being of course the funnel cloud recorded by NZTS member, Aaron and his associate on Saturday.
Today was a good example of weak convergence activity when it down-poured here. I was cycling up Barrington Street around 2pm and got absolutely soaked. When I got home there was 7mm in the rain-gauge since 1pm.
I read Bob Crowder's gauge at 4pm and he had only 2.6mm. It shows you that the rain fall was rather scattered with another report of 6mm near Huntsbury Hill. It looked fine and clear to the south.

JohnGaul
NZTS
Skywatcher
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Skywatcher »

A bit cloudier than yesterday but dry again here with a moderate SW'ly most of the day becoming light S by late afternoon.

Some good Cu and all outside here, too ;)
tich

Unread post by tich »

Funny there should be such weather in Chch - out on the peninsula, the last light shower was about Noon, and fine intervals have increased through the afternoon, with a moderate southerly I believe
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Thanks John! ;)

I got small tiny hail in town today (really small but it was hail), I also got rain to. But I'm not sure of the amounts. It wouldn't of been much from what I saw. 1 or 2mm at the most. Isolated heavier falls looked to of occured in other areas as you experianced John.
Aaron Wilkinson