The Passage of an Upper Level Trough...

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Yes it wasn't the best. Some interesting cloud features etc to be seen though with great towering Cu congestus! You can see the Cb we photographed in Steven G's sat pic he has put up, it was quite spectacular looking fom a distance. Here are some pics from our unsuccessful but good sight seeing chase.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Lightning did occur from this storm, pitty we never saw any apart from one or two possible sheet flashes. It was just to far west / south west than we had expected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aaron Wilkinson
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

Unfortunately once again rain here and v heavy too :evil:
tich

Unread post by tich »

Lightning did occur from this storm, pitty we never saw any apart from one or two possible sheet flashes. It was just to far west / south west than we had expected.
The cb I saw late yesterday certainly looked like a thunderstorm, and the lightning strikes map proved it. If you'd have headed to Fairlie you would've probably got a better look. But then it might've died down by the time you got there.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Farlie might've been a bit too far south west, well for us that night anyway, it would've produced the goods as you say Ben. It looked also to be situated behind the Mt Peel / Forest area, and as we talked about not long ago this place seems to be a good area for storms (ideally a bit more ENE would've helped). About the only place we could've gone to get lightning would've been Mt Peel and there looks to be a road that goes up into the hills more to a place called Mesopotamia (named after the ancient area between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers which flow through Iraq! lol, anyway!). That would've required a trip down through Mayfield and then Arundel to get over the Rangitata river so it would've been too late anyway as you say Ben.

I guess something like a computer and internet connection would be handy in the car because you could tell where these storms are and make a good judgement on whether to go on any more. It would've helped that night! Only thing is there might've been no connection where we were so it would'nt of helped anyway. I guess when we were near Horarata or Methven it would've helped!

Next time eh!

Looking foward to the meet tomorrow night. ;)
Aaron Wilkinson
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Cb just crossed here with a 5min downpour,rain mixed with hail.

Yesterday some of the Inland Valleys in Otago and Canterbury heated up,18c, that would have helped set off the Storms.
C-Nimbus
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by C-Nimbus »

Just backing up what spwill stated.

We experienced a heavy downpour and hail for a short period of around 5 mins. No audible thunder or visible lightning - dammit!!

Looks like the weather may be custard for the long weekend (or part of), but thats sposed to happen on labour weekend (traditionally) isn't it?!

Just blobs of Cu coming thru now. The 9:30am NOAA radar suggests theres a few more showers behind all of this, but nothing to write home about.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Yes C- Nimbus, a mixed weekend for weather comming up but atleast it start warm.
Of interest will be the passage of a trough over the SouthIsland on Sun which may produce some afternoon Thundery build ups in the East prior to the Southerly change. I'm in Dunedin this weekend. :D
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

hehe. Hey C-nimbus, when I first saw your post about labour weekend possibly going to custard I thought, "Oh man I don't want endless sunny weather". Then I relised what you ment, rain and interesting weather possibly!

Yes Spwill, the maps for the long weekend coming up look interesting. May we have a reinactment of the Oct 27th tornado, yes please! Except it'll be more like the 24th /25th etc, maybe 26th. In an unpopulated area of course. But still, a few days out yet (and by few I don't mean 2, it's more like 3-4).
Aaron Wilkinson
C-Nimbus
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by C-Nimbus »

Aaron J Wilkinson wrote: Yes Spwill, the maps for the long weekend coming up look interesting. May we have a reinactment of the Oct 27th tornado, yes please!
better grab that camera then Aaron!.

Nice account of your F/C on the website by the way mate :)
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Guess given the continually long spell of abysmal weather we have had/having this year it wouldnt be hard :?
C-Nimbus wrote:Looks like the weather may be custard for the long weekend (or part of), but thats sposed to happen on labour weekend (traditionally) isn't it?!