Unusually heavy frost for October

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
tich

Unusually heavy frost for October

Unread post by tich »

Out near Akaroa there was quite a significant frost this morning. I can't give any exact details, but even though it wouldn't compare to winter frosts, it was rather unusual for so late in the year out there. The Akaroa Harbour area, because of its coastal location quite naturally gets lighter frosts than Chch. (well, the parts of the city away from the sea) BTW Newstalk ZB mentioned that there was a -5C frost in Chch this morning
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Re: Unusually heavy frost for October

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

tich wrote:Out near Akaroa there was quite a significant frost this morning. I can't give any exact details, but even though it wouldn't compare to winter frosts, it was rather unusual for so late in the year out there. The Akaroa Harbour area, because of its coastal location quite naturally gets lighter frosts than Chch. (well, the parts of the city away from the sea) BTW Newstalk ZB mentioned that there was a -5C frost in Chch this morning
There was a ground frost here this morning. What is was I don't know as I removed my thermometer for mowing on Saturday not expecting another frost. I'd say it was probably minus 1. My minimum was 2.7C in the screen.
I haven't put my thermometer back tho' as I don't expect another frost tonight. :x

JohnGaul
NZTS
Fujita Phil
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

John... How do you record the frost? Does the therometer just lie on the ground or do you have some sort of special set-up?
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
tich

Unread post by tich »

There was a ground frost here this morning. What is was I don't know as I removed my thermometer for mowing on Saturday not expecting another frost. I'd say it was probably minus 1. My minimum was 2.7C in the screen.
I haven't put my thermometer back tho' as I don't expect another frost tonight.
But things often happen what you're not expecting them to. :-k
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

No frost in Amberley, in fact there was some cloud and breeze during the night. We did a frost on Monday night though.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Fujita Phil wrote:John... How do you record the frost? Does the therometer just lie on the ground or do you have some sort of special set-up?
I just put thermometer on the ground especially in an area that will not get the sun until much later in the morning.
Quite often, I have forgotten about the thing and have run over it with my lawn-mover :evil:

JohnGaul
NZTS