An Anticyclonic November 2004

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

An Anticyclonic November 2004

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Yes :) :-k
Shaping up to be a lovely? anticyclonic month.
The anticyclone out to the east of us sending in ridging that should give us close to 30c temps tomorrow ...
... and the next one moving in from off the off the Australian bight should be a bit slower unfortunately giving us cold easteries to Christchurch.
If this the scenario, it could be...
...a month of jossseling temperatures because of this?

JohnGaul
NZAAA
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Yes, anticyclonic indeed. However, an upper trough (cold pool at 500mb) could induce something maybe near the middle to later part of next week. It's a we way out at the moment though but could prove fruitfull.
Aaron Wilkinson
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

The SW has become strong but netherless its a nice sunny day 19c :lol:
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The SW has become strong but netherless its a nice sunny day 19c
The SW'ester can be a good wind. Today it was strong enough to keep out the NE seabreeze, preventing a sea breeze convergence zone from developing. Wind here was only about 10kts and temp got to 23C.

an upper trough (cold pool at 500mb) could induce something maybe near the middle to later part of next week
Should be plenty of moisture over NZ this week and with a possible upper trough later in the week, somewhere is going to get clobbered.
Manukau heads obs
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

it was a strange sky late saturday....with a NE surge that came through above a SW sea breeze..
18 kts max here
(note, by weather data has been down , the login/ username has been changed
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Yesterday we had a light SW but when I was at Takapuna yesterday afternoon the NE seabreeze wasnt there nor was the SW it was so dead calm 8)
Manukau heads observer wrote:it was a strange sky late saturday....with a NE surge that came through above a SW sea breeze..
18 kts max here
(note, by weather data has been down , the login/ username has been changed
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Looks like our anticyclonic November may come to an end this WE :)
However, not shaping up to be a classic Show Day on Friday. NW from Sat/Sun onwards :-k

JohnGaul
NZTS
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

latest ecmwf still has a weak ridge over NZ,and humid northerlies, and then finally a bigger trough and return to W to SW winds tuesday on
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Tommorow, I have a 1 warning out for Canterbury, this depending on the timing of events
Aaron/Steve be aware :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Oh how exciting :cry:
Manukau heads observer wrote:and then finally a bigger trough and return to W to SW winds tuesday on
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Blue not likey but the potential is there

Interesting. I just said to a friend he could borrow my digital camera tomorrow for some photo thing he might be doing, I might have to ring him up to say no!! :twisted: I don't think I'll let anyone borrow my camera now, I just can't do it.

If anything the change is forecast to come through around or just before midday but that could change so it comes through a little later in the afternoon which I'd like to think it would. The upper is just a little too warm still but it will get colder so will be interesting to watch. But nothing of note on the metservice thunderstorm outlook and you'd have to think the've got better knowledge than me so probably no tomorrow unless the upper cools quite a bit for some reason?
Aaron Wilkinson
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Problem for Canterbury tomorrow will be moisture.

500hpa temp currently -19C at Invercargill so starting to get a favourable lapse rate down south and yes, a bit more cooling in the upper air possible tommorrow. But the air has really dried off down there today.

Still, I agree, a 1 alert is appropriate.

It would be interesting to consider what Christchurch's climate would be like without the Alps. I don't think the mean temperature would be any lower and the weather would be quite thundery.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

I reckon they would have a hideous climate if the alps wernt there,the westerlies would howl across the island from the tasman and be similar to northland except colder :idea:
NZstorm wrote:
It would be interesting to consider what Christchurch's climate would be like without the Alps. I don't think the mean temperature would be any lower and the weather would be quite thundery.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Michael wrote:I reckon they would have a hideous climate if the alps wernt there,the westerlies would howl across the island from the tasman and be similar to northland except colder :idea:
NZstorm wrote:
It would be interesting to consider what Christchurch's climate would be like without the Alps.
It would be quite interesting here if the Alps didn't exist?
Has anyone ever done a scenario/theory on this?

JohnGaul
NZTS
tich

Unread post by tich »

It would be quite interesting here if the Alps didn't exist?
Has anyone ever done a scenario/theory on this?
Depends on whether the land was flat or still hilly in places (like Britain) - I'd still think in the latter scenario it would be drier in the east than the west, but in the manner of Canterbury getting lighter rain than the West Coast, rather than no rain.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Since two thirds to three quarters of Canterbury northeasterlies are lee trough winds, if the Alps were gone there would be no lee trough, hence a lot fewer northeasterlies. This would make average humidity levels lower and increase temperatures, providing the westerly quarter flows which generate lee-trough northeasterlies are warmer and drier than air off Pegasus Bay.

Clearly mean annual rainfall would be higher, and mean annual raindays higher also. There would probably be more days with more mid and high level cloud so sunshine hours may decrease a little, but total solar radiation might not be much affected.

Fohn nor'westers would be gone, so the very warm days of summer would disappear, as would the very high evapotranspiration rates. So droughts would be less frequent and less severe. Given that frequncy of norwest days has a big influence on summer temperatures I would think our mean summer temperature would be lower, but winter temperatures may not be much changed.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

With out the Southern Alps Canterbury Average humidity levels would be much higher (By far the biggest sauce of moisture on to NZ is from the NW and this would not be blocked). So more humidity and rainfall + rain days= WARMER WINTER temps all round but the very hot summer days will be gone.
Those southern Alps do help generate high cloud,so less high cloud but more medium level cloud.
John and Aaron would be very happy more often as there would be many more Thunderstorms. :D
wxgirl

Unread post by wxgirl »

Without the Southern Alps Canterbury's climate would be very wet, with very little range in temperature - seasonal and diurnally, no frosts either ... because without the Sthn Alps, we would be under the sea! No mtn uplift, consequent erosion and feeding by rivers over all these years to build up the Canty Plains. Ah ha ha.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Would the fish down there be red and black with one eye :)
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

The winds would probably be "straight" westerly most of the time and Auckland probably wouldnt get so much gales either due to the wind blowing up because it would go across the SI and the westcoasts "northerlies" would be just westerlies too but less heavy rain and lots of showers :roll:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

wxgirl wrote:Without the Southern Alps Canterbury's climate would be very wet, with very little range in temperature - seasonal and diurnally, no frosts either ... because without the Sthn Alps, we would be under the sea! No mtn uplift, consequent erosion and feeding by rivers over all these years to build up the Canty Plains. Ah ha ha.
Nice one :lol: :lol: :lol:
We could all be living on Bank's Island, which would probably be renamed Canterbury Island ;)

JohnGaul
NZTS
tich

Unread post by tich »

We could all be living on Bank's Island, which would probably be renamed Canterbury Island
Well Aucklanders have been living in Banks City until recently. :lol: