New thread for end of week T/S

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
C-Nimbus
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New thread for end of week T/S

Unread post by C-Nimbus »

Just thought i'd start another.

Met service are predicting (in line with what people on here said 2 or 3 days ago) a moderate risk of convective T/S developing over Northland, Auckland and other northern/eastern areas.

Lets hope eh!

Once again today has yeilded more buildups that seem the look nice and healthy but then they get cutoff by the 2500-3000m inversion. Humidity feels high and the Cu's look nice and crisp. Hopefully the movement of more humid air 2moro couple with the space to grow high could be good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Warm and rather muggy here today, 22c dew point 14c but no showers have developed locally. There are some showers over Northland .

Some Thunderstorms in the Central Tasman with that Low out there.
Michael

Re: New thread for end of week T/S

Unread post by Michael »

C-Nimbus wrote:Met service are predicting (in line with what people on here said 2 or 3 days ago) a moderate risk of convective T/S developing over Northland, Auckland and other northern/eastern areas.

Lets hope eh!
NO
C-Nimbus

Re: New thread for end of week T/S

Michael wrote:
C-Nimbus wrote:Met service are predicting (in line with what people on here said 2 or 3 days ago) a moderate risk of convective T/S developing over Northland, Auckland and other northern/eastern areas.

Lets hope eh!
NO
NO as in its not going to happen or NO I just want to see more gales!?

:roll:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I think that Michael dosen't want thunderstorms to stuff up the likely of a possibilty of summery weather situ that Auckland should get with the recent bout of anticyclones stretching back over the north of NZ :-k :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Foggy start to the day with 14C.

Afternoon heat showers look likely today as Met Service have predicted. And the upper air has cooled off from a very stable -10C at 500mbs a day ago to a less stable -15C. So a slight chance of thunder late in the day, more especially inland and if surface temps get up a bit.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Cloudy,20c,dewpoint 15c, some big Cu about.
A local sea breeze convergence this afternoon would be very interesting.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Not much cloud development in the Auckland area, still have some fat Cu about and some showers have formed out to our East but from not very high cloud tops.
C-Nimbus

I have been working at a site at the Auckland Airport today and have only seen a few lumpy Cu's forming underneath a veil of high cloud.

Still, there are a couple that could develop further I guess.

About the best thing I saw all day was a personal jet! (I think its a Canadair CL610) absolutley georgeous piece of engineering
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

That veil of high cloud today reduces convection and on a day when shower development is marginal, it kills off the chance of a local storm.

Met service 4pm Radar shows some okay showers have got going over Northland.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Just in time for the weekend :evil:
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

There was some convection taking place today South of the Bombays so I headed down there with my new camera chasing a competition winning photo :D but got stuck in traffic on the Southern Motarway. :(

Met Service 4pm radar shows the Cb in photo just south of Bombays. I noticed Ricky's boltec picking up lightning in the Hamilton vicinity early evening.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

I saw that cb too leaving the airport today. Most impressive...

Well, after five days in Auckland I'm back home tonight in Dunners. I have to say firstly, Michael, no driving rain, no strong SW'ers? ;)

Gorgeous weather. This was only my second trip to Auckland, first time driving, and yes... wait for it... a Mainlander is going to say... I really enjoyed it. It probably did help that I had a nice apartment 15 floors up in the centre of town with a great view. I never made an appt before 10am and usually in the Shore so I was heading against the traffic. 8)

And Wednesday and Thursday nights I went for a swim in the sea, IN THE SEA, IN NOVEMBER :shock: . Even the seals around Dunedin in November wear wetsuits.

No thunderstorms though :(
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Glad you enjoyed Auckland Phil.

Yesterday was marginal for convection and yes, in the late afternoon a few cb's fired producing isolated heavy showers/thunder over the Waikato area.

Upper air is still conditionally unstable today but cloud cover looks like it will spoil the chance of afternoon cb's.

Temperature this morning at 7am is 17C, dewpoint 15C and that has been our night time minimum.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Perhaps you better come back as its starting to pack in now.Its the longest period without gales for months and without precipation too :D
Fujita Phil wrote:I saw that cb too leaving the airport today. Most impressive...

Well, after five days in Auckland I'm back home tonight in Dunners. I have to say firstly, Michael, no driving rain, no strong SW'ers? ;)

Gorgeous weather. This was only my second trip to Auckland
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Rain has arrived :evil:
GreggWard

Unread post by GreggWard »

Severe Thunderstorms forecast for the southern North Island :D
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

did you see much of the thunderstorms there yesterday Gregg? looked like they were mainly in the higher country to the north..
GreggWard

No I didn't Ricky. Although my wife saw some when she went to pick my daughter up from Kiwitea, which is about 40min north of Palmerston North and a lot higher (I think it's over 1000ft above msl).

It looks like the storms today are forecast to be mainly about the surrounding hills. Hopefully Napier/Hastings or us here in Palmy get a storm that drifts off of these surrounding hills.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Phil, pleased to hear you had a good week in Auckland. Always ignore what Michael says about Auckland weather as he always puts the worst possible spin on it.

Below is a photo of large Cu over Waikato yesterday afternoon seen from just south of Auckland. :D
GreggWard

Nice CU development to our NW now, drifting S, with cloud bases darkening up. Temperature up to 21C, with dewpoint at 14C.

Airways IFIS doesn't have Cb devlopment and showers developing until between 0300 and 0600 UTC.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Good stuff Spwill!!

Interesting the forecast of possible severe thunderstorms, amusing. Will watch with interest!! 8)

Despite the low cloud thats been annoying us for the past few days it's come out really sunny here, although there is a big band of stuff sitting just offshore so I'm not sure what it'll do. If the temp gets to 25 we could get something! (the higher the better!) (it's 21.4C now) But that cloud is a worry.
Aaron Wilkinson
GreggWard

Starting to get very dark from the NW -> NE direction.

Looking exciting for you guys up north for Sunday night:

Valid to: 12:00 am 15 Nov 2004 NZDT
Issued at: 11:16 am 13 Nov 2004 NZDT

The weakening front will move across eastern Bay of Plenty and northern Gisborne in the afternoon, and continue to carry the potential of a few embedded thunderstorms with it. In its wake, afternoon heating will produce some scattered afternoon thunderstorms over parts of the northern half of the North Island.

Then in the evening, a strong frontal band will move down over Northland to reach the Auckland area towards midnight. This feature is expected to bring a burst of very heavy thundery rainfall along with squally winds that may gust up to 100km/h in places as the front moves through. Local flooding may occur in some places,especially in urban areas, but because of the speed of movement,hourly rainfall accumulations will probably not exceed 25mm/hr.
GreggWard

Getting very dark from the NW again.

I think we'll get some action within the next 0.5hr
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

there certainly has been some action around there :) although a lot more over into the wairarapa..