SI Thunderstorms!! From 15/11/04 till ?

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Thunder

SI Thunderstorms!! From 15/11/04 till ?

Unread post by Thunder »

New thread for these storms today and possibly tomorrow.

Convection really taking off on the plains right now with Cb's and strikes recorded on the tracker. Here's a few pics which I just took:

Image Image

I just wish it would hold off a bit, there seems to be no cap to suppress things. There is nothing happening over Chch however so maybe the elevation of the plains is helping? If so maybe things are being suppressed closer to the coast?
Aaron Wilkinson
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Reports of storms and cells generating in the Mt Somers- Mt Hutt area, and spreading across the Plains towards Ellesmere area - certainly looks dark in those directions. No big clouds visible in North Canty yet but plenty of small to med Cu bubbling away.
C-Nimbus
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by C-Nimbus »

choice, choice, choice!

I hope you get a similar show to us dorklanders last nite!

Good thing is is that your ones are during the day so you may see some interesting phenomena such as F/C's, gust fronts etc.

It's interesting, when the akl storm hit last nite i was outside and I am sure I saw what could have been a gust front as this wall of cloud with heavy rain behind it suddenly came over the top of us from the opposite direction of where the storm was coming from. Super duper winds shortly followed with heavy rain and intermittent hail.

I dont know much about gust fronts, I know Steven W captured one on camera out east auckland in 2003 i think.

http://www.thunderstorm.co.nz/newpage6.htm

photo down the bottom

best o' british for today fellas!
Skywatcher

Unread post by Skywatcher »

Picking up a lot of strikes due N of here but the uncalibrated ranging puts them nearer Nelson.

There's also a storm nearer Fairlie/Mt Peel - again the mountains cause it to appear further away.

Some towering Cu developing looking SW to NW from here :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Great to hear Tony!!

Tony, do you think there's a chance these Cb's will hang around or new development will occur into the afternoon? Specifically untill around 9pm?

Just saw your post Steven G!! Great pics!!
Aaron Wilkinson
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Why, whats happening at 9pm?

So long as there is sunshine this afternoon the clouds should keep going up. Anything after about 6pm will depend on some other form of uplift, eg a SW change edging up the Plains (which is moderately likely).
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Nothing!!:D

It's just that I was thinking that 9pm sort of seemed a cut off point and storms would die down around then. Reason being is so me and Steve can get out and do some after work chasing! A gap between 5pm and 9pm would suit us fine, if it goes later into the night, even better!
Reports of storms and cells generating in the Mt Somers- Mt Hutt area, and spreading across the Plains towards Ellesmere area
Is there a secret society of storm watchers out there?
Aaron Wilkinson
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

I know I know, your probably going to say there's a secret society of people out there with eyes :lol:

Anyway, some lovely cloud forms going up, the thrill is back! A Cb anvil is currently moving over the city I believe, no thunder heard yet though.

Image Image
Aaron Wilkinson
Skywatcher

Just heard some thunder to the SW, probably from this Cb :D

Lightning tracker is up to 26 strikes a minute but still ranging it too far away :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary McConnochie
Been thanked: 0

Thunder

Unread post by Gary McConnochie »

Thunder heard south of Rolleston ;)
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

A big cloud has developed southwest of Amberley in the last hour but its not really pushed on to be a significant CB - most of the precip looks like virga only. Also, in that time, the sky has cloudied in more, and the wind has freshened from the south to southwest, which suggests that maybe things will quieten down from now on. Some anvils visible over the hills far to the northeast, probably up Kaikoura way. Still some bubbly CUs developing over the plains to the southwest, but over the sea to Chch and over the Peninsula it looks clear.

If there isnt a society of storm watchers at Mt Peel there certainly should be!
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Great pic Steven G! Here's that Cb from Town. Hope you get something John!

Image Image

There's new development over the port hills, hopefully things aren't over yet!

Edited 5 min later:

Steven G's lightning detector is going bizerk!!! Meaning heaps of strikes!!
Last edited by Thunder on Mon 15/11/2004 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Wilkinson
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Nice photo's starting to come in from down there, great stuff. :D

A report from Gary in Omarama would be good, looks like there might be plenty of action in his area.
Skywatcher

Just tweaked a ranging parameter and it's now brought the storms onto the plain. Thunder is almost continuous from the SW and the leading edge of the Cb is almost overhead.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

I can see the Cb but I'm too far away to see lightning. Getting warm again in town with the sun out. I can see a nice line of Cb to the SW.

Are you going to get video of the storm Steven G!?

So exciting!! :o
Aaron Wilkinson
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Lightning detector now looks more correct, ties in with Aarons Cb photos.
Skywatcher

Some rain here now with a light SWly.

Looks like the storms are moving west and intensifying as they reach the mountains.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

No!! NO SW, not now! If so then it is, would be good if the change holds off just a bit.

The tracker is still going bizerk! 150 strikes per min, 4000 and something strikes so far. Still, it seems to be ceasing just SW of Chch and into the mountains as Steven G says above. That area were me and Steve were the other night (upper trough thread) would be really going off right now!

Just had another look at the tracker, its really going crazy now.
Aaron Wilkinson
tich

Unread post by tich »

Unstable cumulus type clouds started developing around Akaroa soon afer about 1PM. Dark cb cloud was visible to the northwest, but has now moved away - no wonder people are reporting action in Canterbury. No rain here yet.
Skywatcher

Now over 7000 strikes and it's been recording over 200 strikes per minute for the last 10 minutes :shock:

Activity has moved closer again and the thunder is getting louder :D
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

A very big and very black cloud is now edging closer to us from the west and southwest, which corresponds nicely with some strikes in the last 10 minutes showing as west of Amberley on the tracker. I can hear distant rumbles, and its just starting to spit with rain. Looks like this is either another cell forming away from the cluster southwest of Chch or else that cluster is expanding.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Up to 11871 strikes!!!! And still going crazy! (Edited 4:17pm: make that 12744!)

Some goodish rain here now and more strikes to the SW. I saw some lightning out on the plains with some ok bolts and a bit of thunder but still I'm just a bit too far away.

John, over to this thread! :D Me and Steve will get out as soon as he gets off work! I still don't drive yet!! It'll probably die down by then :cry:

I got a pathetic strike on my camera's movie mode, I'll put it up but it's absolutely hopless! I hope your getting good footage John and Steven G! Strike is between the lines on first pic to show you where it is.

Image Image

Now that's a juicy radar if ever I saw one:

http://www.metvuw.com/radar/radar-big.c ... 0Z_cny.gif

Steven G, I didn't relise you made a really zoomed in view of Chch's lightning strikes. (Just heard thunder!!!) Thanks Brian!

http://www.templeton.gen.nz/weather/lightning.htm

It's awsome!
Aaron Wilkinson
tich

Unread post by tich »

Started spitting shortly after my last post, but from about 4.30, the cloud darkened to the west, coming onto rain by 5PM. Yes this included a thunderstorm, but most of the thunder and (probably just sheet) lightning seemed to centred to the west (Little River). Probably no more thunder from about 5.30 (strong southerly/southwesterly wind sprung up), but quite heavy rain at times is continuing.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

We got some good thunder and lightning and heavy rain between about 4pm and 4.40pm, then a dry break, but rain has come back in now. Sky is too clagged in to see much.

BTW, I think Aaron has his priorities well sorted - cant drive a car yet yet but knows how to drive a tephigram. Way to go!
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Oh well, tomorrow!! There was heaps of lightning out there, hope you got some good shots John / Steven G?

I saw some Cg's plus IC from the Walthem overbridge but in the distance. Most of the lightning activity seemed to cease just SW of Chch and then go around B'sP.

Hi Tony!! Good to hear you got some thunder! Sorry, but whats a tephigram? :? 8)
Aaron Wilkinson