Canterbury Thunderstorms Mid Next Week?

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Yes Jason, the moisture in the air from that preceding rain band has helped lift the dewpoint a bit. Temp is rising slightly and should get a bit higher than today's max earlier this morning of 14. The sun has just come through, here's hoping for an interesting afternoon/evening.

Yeah, Metservice added in a part of Canterbury into the thunderstorm forecast at 3:31pm just before it started in South Canterbury. Only low risk but we know it's happening, will it reach Chch though?

Batteries are fully charged so will do my best to get a lightning photo if a storm come accross.

Latest satpic shows Cb's.

Edited: 5:26pm

I like the look of the latest landcare research sat pic at NZDT 4:50pm. Shows nice Cb's behind the rainband / clearing. Nice NE here now (it's been like that all day) with the temp nearly past this mornings max. Looking foward to it!:o

http://satellite.landcareresearch.co.nz ... d25114.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aaron Wilkinson
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Lightning tracker is now going bizerk down south :D
Some CU visable out south Canty way 8)
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

big lightning storm south canterbury!!!!!
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Storm Struck

Its a beast of a thunderstorm coming that Radars looking blody awsome enjoy chasing who evers going :D ye hah.
My digital is ready and all fully charged 8)
I think the cat is still inside wont be soon be away under house.
Cheers
JASON TIPPET
AND DAM PROUD :D
tich

Unread post by tich »

I went up to the top of a carpark in central Chch (where you have to go upstairs to see anything in the distance) shortly before 6PM and could see the shower cloud well to the southwest. Don't know how long it'll take to reach here, but personally I don't want there to be strong winds combined with rain or hail between about 7.30 and 8PM, when I'll be walking to a function in the central city.

Update: cloud is moving in from the southwest as I write, but the leading edge doesn't look like giving much.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Looking forward to some photo's from down there. :D

Met Service severe convection + thunderstorm outlook has made no mention at all today about the Otago storms.
A cold airflow and late November sunshine always presents the risk of good convection.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

There's a huge gustfront out there!!

Steve said to me he couldn't go chasing and now he is!! Bastered :D , oh well. That's my Problem!! Also just to report, Stephen saw a funnel cloud but it quickly dissapeared before he got out to photograph it!! He's out there with the video camera and his film SLR around Tai Tapu so looking foward to what else he can get. Hopefully I'll get some good pics from where I am to.
Aaron Wilkinson
Storm Struck

32 STIRKES PER MINUTE ON tracker now :D :shock: .
By the way Aaron there's a storm with a god dark base just sotrta SE of you And I am pretty sure I spotted a blink of lightning.
Storms getting closer now suns dissapearing.
cheers
JASON TIPPET. 8)
tich

Unread post by tich »

The southerly change has arrived, along with the cloud. Looked like delivering, but nothing so far in the central city. But looks like storms are happening in the area.
Storm Struck

HUGE storm coming hear thunder in distance
ye har
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Yes, looks like a good storm to your South -SouthWest as there is a lot of lightning on the tracker.
jeffsweather
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jeffsweather »

Rain, reasonably heavy with a cold southery wind gusting to 42km/h so far.
The odd lightning strike that looks like it might be out to the west from here but I can't see any directly, just outside lights up now and then and a distant rumble of thunder.

Got very dark just after 7pm as the cloud rolled in, quite impressive.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Big gusts and constant strong wind, good rain but not overly really heavy although I believe in some parts of Chch rain would've been very heavy. I've seen some really nice Cg's but not dark enough yet to photograph, hopefully I'll get some shots when it gets darker as the storm moves up the coast. Lightning hasn't been as frequent as I'd like but thunder is loud when it does hit. I had a stirke occur about 1km away from me at one point, really cool!!!

Will put up a few pics later, the storm may be fizzeling out but we'll see?? It's a big Cb.

Edited: 8:44pm

I think it's over now. Unfortunately no lightning shots tonight. Once again the main activity lightning wise happened just South of Chch with bit's and pieces of lightning making it's way a bit further north. Out West of Chch however there appeared to be some good lightning though from other Cb's. Now to prepear the few pics I got, first time I've seen lightning and heard proper thunder in a while!

Some good rain now with strong winds.
Aaron Wilkinson
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

A very nice storm rolled through between 8.25 and 8.45pm, first a nice roll cloud and strong to near gale winds, then lightning clearly visible in the southern sky, some of those pretty lacy CC strikes and some of the more pipe-like CGs. A period of heavy hail about 5-10mm for about 2 minutes then cleared and thunder and lightning moved off to the north or northeast. :)

Well done Ange!
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Well #-o
My origional forecast seemed to on track but the fact that we had 8/8 altostratus cover from late morning made me cancel the high likely of thunderstorm activity over Canterbury today. :(
My origional predictions tho' DID come to fruit tho \:D/
I was around at Jeff Northcott's today and we did notice aloy of electrical activity to the south :)
I videoed the southerly cold front's approach.
Intersesting fractus. No funnel development however

JohnGaul
NZTS
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote: No funnel development however

JohnGaul
NZTS
haha your wrong!!! lol

I saw a funnel cloud! just south of Tai Tapu!! I didnt manage to get my camera out in time :evil: because by the time i saw it i think it must have been going back up into the cloud, and also those bastard of a pine trees didnt give me a good view till a good couple hundred meters down the road from when i first saw it!!!

Got some awsome photos of the gust front, ets was right underneath it!!!

Wasnt a hugely active storm, visually, but still got the old heart thumping!!

Neway im happy two funnel clouds this season!!! AWSOME :)

Il post some photos up tomorrow!
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

TonyT wrote:A very nice storm rolled through between 8.25 and 8.45pm, first a nice roll cloud and strong to near gale winds, then lightning clearly visible in the southern sky, some of those pretty lacy CC strikes and some of the more pipe-like CGs. A period of heavy hail about 5-10mm for about 2 minutes then cleared and thunder and lightning moved off to the north or northeast. :)

Well done Ange!
Good on you as well Angie/WX Girl :)

Good summery Tony :)
I videod the roll cloud and even tho' the radio was crackling never saw any lightning, maybe it was what in behind?
When the rain started it became what the MetService call thundery.
I don't like that term :evil:
Total grey 8/8 grey Nb with the occasional flash of what normal people call "sheet lightning" to the SW and west of here (Somerfield)
No hail just steady rain, becoming colder with strong southerly winds.
Weather now easing up despite the onslaught from the south :(

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

03 Stormchaser wrote:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote: No funnel development however

JohnGaul
NZTS
haha your wrong!!! lol

I saw a funnel cloud! just south of Tai Tapu!!
Ah HUH :)

My brother who lives in Tai Tapu said that he did notice 'winds going in all directions' when the southerly hit and he thought it was quite unusual?
I hope you have a picture of it Steve? :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Skywatcher

Unread post by Skywatcher »

Started seeing distant lightning and hearing thunder to the SW at about 7:15 but then it died out. After that several lines of cloud started to develop overhead. There had been a moderate ENE-E wind most of the afternoon and the southerly had just arrived.

There were quite a few potential funnel clouds with the bases of the cloud lines starting to rotate and descend but nothing got too far before the gusty southerly wiped it out :( I recorded some footage on video and you can kinda see what I mean from the first photo.

The thunderstorm then developed with lots of long ICs running back and forth across the sky - no wonder the Boltek was confused :)

Just downloaded the images from the camera and discovered I managed to get one - contrast isn't too great though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Well, not the best photo's but something ok. Steve's photo's will be something to look foward to!! Here's 3 for now. John, unfortunately Steve didn't get the funnel on film (reread his post). Unfortunatley I got rain on the lense at one point aswell, doh!!
Aaron Wilkinson
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Last one.

Great Stuff Steven G, will add more comments later!!
Aaron Wilkinson
Skywatcher

Awesome pics, Aaron =D>

This is the best I could manage from here :(
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Some great photo's :D
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Steven Graham wrote:
There were quite a few potential funnel clouds with the bases of the cloud lines starting to rotate and descend but nothing got too far before the gusty southerly wiped it out :( I recorded some footage on video and you can kinda see what I mean from the first photo.
I thought that possible, as the southerly came against the NE but what ever was I thought that may of happened, was rather pathetic, regrettably. :(
If it had been a fine clear day, with the sun adding to the instability with ground heating, I wonder what sort of thunderstorm may of have developed with the front going through :-k

JohnGaul
NZTS
Skywatcher

Here are two IR sat pics, one from NOAA 12 just after 7pm and the other from NOAA 15 at about 8pm.