The climate in Italy.

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
geloneve - FC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The climate in Italy.

Unread post by geloneve - FC »

THE CLIMATE IN ITALY

The climate of Italy can be divided in 8 different types:

The Alpine climate: here the climate is very cold and snowy (especially in north-west Alps) with temperature that, sometimes, arrives at -50°C. The Alps conditions the climate of Italy; in fact they give more difficult the passage of the cold winds from North and, also, the passage of the perturbations. Moreover, the winds, sometimes, when they pass the Alps, can cause the phenomena of "fhoen", a warm and, usually, violent wind that, also in winter, rises the temperature as to about 18°c, most of all in the north-west Italy.

Coming down to south, in the Po valley, the climate becomes continental, with hot, sultry and dry summers and cold and wet winters. Springs and autumns are variable and rainy seasons.

The Adriatic side have less sultry and hot summers and winters with a bit higher temperature. The snows are, generally, less frequent but more abundant and, frequently, there are cold air irruptions from north-east, with the wind called "tramontana".

The "gulf Ligurian" climate: this type of climate has a cooler summer of all Italy and a much warmer winter. Moreover the "Liguria", maybe, is the most rainy region.

The Tyrrhene climate has a summer hotter but less sultry then the continental areas. In the winter the temperature rarely decreases under 0°C in plain. The precipitations are, in the centre-northern area, rather abundant.

About the Apennines climate, the temperatures are low, in particular in the north area with abundant snow, particularly on the north-east side.

The "Siculan-Calabrian" climate with a hot summer (with temperature that, sometimes, rise to 40°C) and a very mild winter. The snow in plain is very rare.

At last, the Sardinian climate is similar at the Tyrrhene climate but, here, it is very windy, and, for this reason, the Sardinia is the unique region that produce the wind energy.

So, there are different types of climate in Italy and they are influenced by the sea and the Alps.

The climate of the my zone where I live is this.
The recorded lower temperature to Forlì (near to Bologna), has been of -20°c and the official lower temperature recorded in absolute in plain has been of -28°c, even if it has been recorded unofficial temperature in 1929 of -35°c. However, the climate of the Italy North is of continental type. (t medium between min and max is 0°c in winter, 23°c in summer). To Forlì the average of snow for winter is of 30 cm. Unfortunately the Alps repair to us partially from the cold air irruptions. But they repair also from the wind, making to become the plain where I dress, one of the foggier zones of the world (in the plain) and foggiest in Europe, making to persist for many days the strongly fog, maintaining the temperature under zero and favoring the phenomenon of freezing fog.

I have tried to make one small description of my climate. I do not know English well, therefore I have described the 2 climates in simple way.
Fabio C.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Thanks Genelove - an interesting summary of Italy's climate. Shows how important mountain ranges are in influencing weather and climate. That's what NZ and Italy have in common, but I don't know of anywhere in NZ that could be described as having a 'Mediterranean' climate. Maybe if the ranges in Northland were higher and La Nina patterns more dominant, then places like Dargaville would have such a climate.
The "Siculan-Calabrian" climate with a hot summer (with temperature that, sometimes, rise to 40°C) and a very mild winter. The snow in plain is very rare.
What do you mean by very rare? Once every 10 or so years? Brings to mind a scene in The Day after Tomorrow, where the satellite shows Europe under an icy white blanket, with even Sicily looking like it's completely covered in a thick blanket of snow.
geloneve - FC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by geloneve - FC »

In plain in Sicily the snow falls every 5-10 once years and truly little. However, the climate of the Italy North is of continental type, is not a marine climate.
The recorded lower temperature to Forlì (I plain city where I live, near to Bologna), has been of -20°c and the official lower temperature recorded in absolute in plain has been of -28°c, even if it has been recorded unofficial temperature in 1929 of -35°c. However, the climate of the Italy North is of continental type. (t medium between min and max is 0°c in winter, 23°c in summer).
The medium temperature between minims and max in January is of 0°c! I believe that you can define already a cold winter! As an example: this morning the minimal temperature has been of -3,5°c, today the frost is remained all the day in the shadow zones and already now the temperature is of -1°c (9.45 p.m.). And it is alone November...!
But unfortunately one believes that Italy is the country of the sun, absolutely not true what (except that in summer).
Where I dress, it's one of the foggier zones of the world (in the plain) and foggiest in Europe (except some small zones in Europe), with persistent fog for several days, maintaining the temperature under zero and favoring the phenomenon of freezing fog.
At Forlì the average of snow for winter is of 30 cm.
Fabio C.