Strange day in the south

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
tich

Strange day in the south

Unread post by tich »

The maximum temperature in Christchurch today was, I believe, about 13C - that occurred overnight! Then I think had a southwesterly change early in the morning, and I don't think the thermometer's gone into the double figures.

Further south, TV1 weather showed the hills above Dunedin covered in an unforecast snowfall. MetService had only predicted snow for Fiordland, and only above about 800 metres, in a westerly flow. Invercargill started the day with northwesterly gales, thunder, and hail. I thought that city would be sheltered from such weather with the wind in that direction. And a northwesterly in Invercargill, while supposedly snowing above Dunedin at the same time?

BTW, it did snow to low levels on the West Coast - Reefton got a dusting on Monday night. (according to Greymouth Evening Star)

Ben
Christchurch
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Yes Ben, this weather at present is interesting. A few days ago I hated to get out of bed because of it being so cold, but yesterday morning (19th) it wasn't really cold at all. These next few days here in Chch are hopefully going to be warmish which I welcome.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
jeffsweather
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jeffsweather »

Highest temp recorded yesterday in Hillmorton was 12.1C at 6:10am with a Nor'wester before the brief change to SW, the cool NE wind and morning cloud made sure the temp didn't get higher for the remainder of the day despite the sunny afternoon.

Similar thing this morning, a high of 11.2 at 2:40am with the short burst of NW wind. I took the bus in to work this morning and the temp in town felt similar to home but on arriving at work in the north end of town it felt a lot warmer. A look at the 6am temp at the airport shows 12.4 with a light NNW wind. At 6:20 this morning I recorded 2.8.

A local observation: Some days there is no frost at home, temp perhaps 4 to 6 degrees with a light NE breeze that has been blowing most of the nught.
About half way to work heading to the northern suburbs, there is frost on the ground and the airport temp may be -1. At around dawn, the NE breeze at home stops and a light northerly develops bringing the cold air from the northern suburbs down and dropping my temperature 4 or more degrees. The temperature then climbs as the sun rises.

Being closer to the Port Hills modifies the wind patterns. In the afternoon, the NE'erly is quite a bit stronger as I get closer to the hills then it is when I leave work.
CbFan

Unread post by CbFan »

I 'spose you guys wouldn't want to know that we got 16.6 this afternoon then ;) Our Southerly must warm up after it's long trek along the length of the country!

currently at 13°, nil wind and I'm off to tease any fish that may be awake.

Cheers
Pete
T-Shirt and shorts, Year round.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

We have had showers every day this week in Auckland......typical onshore stuff. Although cloud tops are low they still manage to give the odd drenching. This is real winter weather now.....not particularly cold though. Temp range 9C to 17C.
jeffsweather
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jeffsweather »

Despite all the talk of wet weather around the country over the past week, I haven't recorded any rainfall for 10 days. We managed 17.2C today, second highest for the month, the highest being 19.6 on the 1st.