More snow coming

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZstorm

More snow coming

Unread post by NZstorm »

More snow on the way for the ski slopes of both islands early week. And more West Coast thunder too. Looks like a rerun of last weeks weather. However, should be more of a southerly getting up the east coast this time. Hense Mt Hutt should get a good dumping. Port Hills might get some snow as well. ;)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Certainly hope so Steven with this oncoming high helping to push the cold air up upon us, we've had 3 'dud' cold bursts so far this winter here in ChCh, but mind you the mountains have benefitted.
JohnGaul
NZTS
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Hi John,
Looks like there should be some action in the south with thunder/hail early week. I'm picking snow to 200m in Southland/South otago and 400m in Canterbury including Port Hills ofcoarse.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Surface temperature down at Macquarie Island this evening is +4C.
Not very cold down there today. I find this station and Campbell Island quite useful in making snow predictions over the SI.
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

It was quite mild here today and we didnt have any wind to speak of :) but it looks a totally different story tomorrow with front after front and the wind going to "Gale direction" in the afternoon :(
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

It may have been mild but the day stayed quite grey where I was. We had a brief downpour mid morning...I guess that was the front. Hopefully tomorrows change comes later in the day and there are some good cb's with it when it arrives.
ScottyD

Unread post by ScottyD »

lets all cross our fingers that it will dump lots of snow on the ski fields down south, just in time for my holiday. I'm heading on the ferry on Monday, then down to Kaikoura to see some whales. Then across to Franz Joseph, up in the helecopter, then on to Queenstown. Snow lots now and fine for the Trip. :)

Actually i don't mind if i don't ski and it snows the whole time i'm away and i get stuck in Queenstown and cant get the ferry back. Yeah, i'm dreaming now. :)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Looks as though this cold snap may be a bit of a fizzer like the other ones.
JohnGaul
NZTS
ScottyD

Unread post by ScottyD »

Steven,

it looks like the met service has looked at your post. They've said they're predicting snow to 200m in southland and otago and to 400m in canterbury.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Time will tell whether this coming southerly is a fizzer or not, but the predicted northwesterly gales Canterbury didn't arrive last night, at least not on Banks Peninsula.

Looking further ahead, there might be a major cold southerly outbreak over NZ next week, looking at the Unisys models. 8-10 days is a long way ahead to forecast, but other models are beginning to show signs of a strong southerly flow spreading into the Tasmania/southern Tasman Sea area by the end of the weekend.

Ben
Christchurch
ScottyD

Unread post by ScottyD »

they are looking interesting, are we seing a change to more consistent southerly, south westerly winds? They seem to be appearing with more regularity now.

But im sure by the time tomorrow comes around they would have all changed to show a moist northerly flow with buckets of rain. ;)

Can anyone give an update as to the conditions in the far south? Is it snowing yet? I know snow is not forecast to sea level, but i can always hope.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

This cold outbreak will be just a quick flick. Front looks to be on Southland now. I don't see Coronet getting much snow as the air tends to dry out on a southwester for that area. Mt Hutt should get a bit and Ruapehu too.
jeffsweather
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jeffsweather »

A year and a week ago on the 17th June 2002 Christchurch had a dump of snow. To refresh you memory here is a link to a NZ Herald story http://tinyurl.com/f3n7

Had about 35mm of snow here on that evening.

Metservice predicting the possibility of thunderstorms and hail this evening and tomorrow morning for Christchurch. Light dusting of snow on the port hills?
Chris Raine

Unread post by Chris Raine »

Torrential shower with small hail in Invercargill at 5.30 pm for about 10 minutes . Six degrees after the Cb wnet through, westerly of 15 kts. Stll more to come.
ScottyD

Unread post by ScottyD »

I see that the online weather station in invercargill gives 7pm temp at 5.3
Has the front been through yet?
What time is it expected?
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

i can see the stars so no snow yet.. :(

However there is a cool breeze from the south and the temp is 5.5C
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Fizzer :(
When are we going to get a real "southerly".
Im picking this southwester to be mainly coastal as they usually are.
Snow on the Dunedin hills,Banks Peninsula,with inland areas largely missing out,as well as Mt Hutt,I hope I'm wrong.
Current conditions,light westerly 8 degrees.
Cheers.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Still fine here and about 8C as well. The southerly change will probably mean some hail for us, and maybe a white dusting on the peaks of the Port Hills, the snow much more likely on Banks Peninsula. As you say Deano, inland areas should miss out. But I think the mountains could be already getting some snow in the southwesterly flow - I don't know about Mt Hutt, but chains are now essential on Arthur's Pass. And I heard TV1 Weather mentioning snow showers at Queenstown this afternoon.

Ben
Christchurch
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

I still think it will be a fizzer though ie. Mainly fine, NO thunder but if a shower or two develops it should have wintry hail with it, this judging by the 9pm sattelite picture which has the guts of the weather drifting to the east of us.
I recorded one or 2 lightning sfrerics this evening but I say it was well out to sea.

JohnGaul
NZTS
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Calm,Clear,0 degrees.
I see Metservice are now forecasting the change later this morning,Hmm.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

well some very light snow fell down to about 700m on the southern hills around Alexandra.

No rain fell here and it is fine a clear this morning with a beautiful sun rise

What a fizzer.. :( :( :(
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Here in Auckland its back to the "Same Old" just showers and a usual SW -It would actually be exciting however if it did snow in Auckland instead of boring showers-It did snow in 1976 didnt it?
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

Michael wrote:Here in Auckland its back to the "Same Old" just showers and a usual SW -It would actually be exciting however if it did snow in Auckland instead of boring showers-It did snow in 1976 didnt it?
I can remember it, we were visiting my mother in Greenlane hospital and the snow was on One Tree Hill. Could have been '77 or '78.

Cheers,

G
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

God it must of been cold if it snowed in Auckland. ;)
tich

Unread post by tich »

Thunder and hail in Canterbury Not here in Christchurch - still fine and sunny with only the odd cloud here and there. Only 8C with a chilly southwesterly/southerly breeze though.

The 1976 event that saw snowflakes in parts of Auckland was a strong southerly flow over NZ, tilting southwesterly over the top of the North Island so precipitation could get into that area, whereas a direct southerly would allow some sheltering by the central high country. While snowflakes in Auckland would've been be a novelty, further south (central plateau to Gisborne southwards) there would've been major chaos due to snow and ice on the roads, even at sea-level in the east of South Island. The snowfalls wouldn't have been particularly heavy, but the freezing temperatures would've ensured that whatever fell settled, even at low levels, plus the strong southerlies would've created drifts.

Ben
Christchurch