Heavy rain in bucket loads

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Storm Struck

Heavy rain in bucket loads

Unread post by Storm Struck »

I dont know how much rain is in my rain guage but a hell of a huge bucketing just hit us between 10:30-11:00pm this evening.
It was anitially NE wind but just right before it bucketed down a Southerly came through iam sure it pushed up what was on the Christchurch radar at 10pm which I will show below as well as small surface flooding on the street just to give you an idea of what it was like unfortunatly my camera was getting wet with the moderate rain falling so I only got a few.
I also managed to walk through a huge puddle which was deeper than I thought and the water came up over my tips of shoes that puddle was prob ultimate guess 4mm deep.
Anyway rains easead a little but depending which way this low tracks tomorrow could have us bitting our nails :o .
It is very hard to see the flooding as my night vision is crap but atleast I tried.
cheers
JASON TIPPET.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Pretty heavy rain at times in central Chch as well - just as well the wind has eased, as I was walking home from a function and strong winds and heavy rain renders an umbrella useless.
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

Forget the functions this year unless youre a hardy duck its December 1982 revisited :evil:
jeffsweather
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jeffsweather »

I recorded 17.8mm for the 11pm to midnight hour which is a lot for an hourly total in Christchurch ....
but I missed the action - sound asleep :oops:
tich

Unread post by tich »

Still some heavy outbursts of rain early this morning, but dry breaks as well. Avon River's up, but not by much.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Still raining intermittantly (in fact more often than not) in chch, with the odd briefly heavy fall. Feels like winter with a cold, gusty southerly.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

At least it will clear up tomorrow for you not us :cry:
tich wrote:Still raining intermittantly (in fact more often than not) in chch, with the odd briefly heavy fall. Feels like winter with a cold, gusty southerly.