Cold Week Coming Up

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Actually I did get it!!
went with a guy from work! saw over 50 fish and he caught somewere abouts of 20 fish the smallest being about 1lb and the biggest a 7lb. We both took 1 fish home!!

Cant wait for tea!!! :lol:
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Foggy Hamilton wrote:
Andy wrote: Anybody got some ideas why highs are developing south of the Australian bight and lingering there, well stalling ! There is also a low pressure systems anchored to the south east of N.Z.

Me and the rest of the country are certainly getting sick of this situation.. :cry: :cry:
I'd say probably because Australia is warming up too rapidly and then, developing very large, shallow low pressure systems which blocks out any high pressure ridge. The sky news weather shows a series of very large zone of low pressure for sunday 10pm.... All over Australia!
Yes australia has differently seen some hot temps, sydney hit 42 at the end of last month, around that time snow settle to 300m here.
tich

Unread post by tich »

MetService has a few showers forecast for Canterbury for a time tomorrow. I'd say probably not much, but then again Friday's forecast was only for 'a few showers', and look what happened.

Travelling from Chch to Akaroa this morning, I was struck by the amount of snow on the North Canterbury mountains - as thick as what you'd normally expect in mid-winter! This was from the Porter's Pass northwards, and Mt Hutt only had a light dusting. I'd guess the snow level was about 1300-1400 metres.

Yes it looks like colder southwesterly air returning again later next week. I hope Central Otago is reasonably sheltered from this direction (it is the driest part of NZ), as I'll be biking the Rail Trail from Clyde to Middlemarch.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

tich wrote: Yes it looks like colder southwesterly air returning again later next week. I hope Central Otago is reasonably sheltered from this direction (it is the driest part of NZ), as I'll be biking the Rail Trail from Clyde to Middlemarch.
Hey tich, there has been plenty of wind here as well mate, so i don't like your chances. But if you are starting at the clyde end the wind willl behind you most of the ride ;) + bring warm clothes

I hope you enjoy it :)
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

Australia gets the hot dry winds off the desert the N or NW and into the cold ocean thus pushes the high pressure more northwards :oops:
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

tich wrote:
Travelling from Chch to Akaroa this morning, I was struck by the amount of snow on the North Canterbury mountains - as thick as what you'd normally expect in mid-winter! This was from the Porter's Pass northwards, and Mt Hutt only had a light dusting. I'd guess the snow level was about 1300-1400 metres.
The extra stuff that fell will be gone in only a matter of days!
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
tich

Unread post by tich »

I wasn't so much concerned with the wind (since, as you say Andy, a good part of the ride will be with a tail wind if it's a southwesterly), but more with rain - not very pleasant cycling if you're being lashed by driving rain.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Tich, I had to get this off my chest, but are you female? :oops:

I know itt doesnt matter, but I was just wondering... ;)
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Ben Tichbourne.

That should answer your question! ;)

Yes, Male.... Sorry for answering your question Ben! I've got nothing better to do in the we small hours.. lol.
Aaron Wilkinson
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Quite nice looking off the coast here with potenitially thundery looking bases. The southerly has now come through though so maybe nothing.
Aaron Wilkinson
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Yeah I was in Gore Bay today having a look around got to Hurinui river mouth and I could see those nice CB's out there looks more thundery over the Plains now though. :?
Went through a very small shower just before Amberly coming back but nothing significant as the sort of look a like storm :shock: was developing.
I see Met Service have forecast a low chance of thunderstorms in south otago tomorrow evening. :? Wouldn't you think if we are still under this cold SW flow with packed isobars coming up from Antarctica you surly couldn't have the rite conditions especially in Dunedin where they have been colder than Canterbury latly and it's in the evening.
I mean It may happen just thought it was rather strange after a week of cold winds rain and snow.
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.

North Canterbury the bettter side of the Waimak 8)
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Just thinking it could be possable for storms down there :oops: I remember not long ago when that spectacular thunderstorm went over Banks Peninsula on Monday the 29th November 2004.
Storms actually started down south first then they sorta formed new ones as they moved up the coast towards Canterbury so id there's a Low chance of storms in Otago tomorrow let it be :D .
Still doesn't fix the cold situation though. :?
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.

North Canterbury the better side of the waimak 8)
tich

Unread post by tich »

Tich, I had to get this off my chest, but are you female?
Yes, Male.... Sorry for answering your question Ben! I've got nothing better to do in the we small hours.. lol.
Only 1 female on this forum who actually states her gender.