Messy week ahead Dec 13th-19th

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

I think snow to low levels should mean snow fall to 300 or lower as this is about the level where a lot of Towns, Roads and some City suburbs start to get affected.

I see Aucklands forecast min temps for the next 5 days are higher than Invercargills forecast max temps.
Storm Struck

Few good storms out there

Unread post by Storm Struck »

There's a few good storms out there with the trackers picking up some nice strikes. There's one just off the coast near Karamea/Farewell spit and one just out from Auckland but reasonably far out to sea.
About 3 BIG CG's before and you can see the storm around Karamea heading towards land. So probly a thunderstorm for Karamea, Golden bay, Nelson, and Possably Marlborough thats if it doesn't disipate before then or it could track in a totally different direction.
Who knows still fun to watch and see when it makes landfall must not be that much wind as it isn't moving very fast.
Off and on rain here with the wind turning SW. :evil:
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Your thread is good Jason!

So far this morning.

There is some nice Cu outside with what looks like a Cb on the weatherzone sat pic (but it isn't, maybe on the west coast side but it's not spitting out any lightning). After going off to the overbridge one more time for a better view of things I realise things aren't that well developed at the moment from what they appear to be from my desk window. I guess this high cloud etc will pass over and then we'll get some heating before the true southerly arrives. But WNW outside and the dewpoint is low, not the best but we'll see what it does. I don't think the NW will pick up too much than what it allready is so hopefully a NE develops.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aaron Wilkinson
Storm Struck

Yes Aaron I can see that CB nice RFB black base to it :D although not sure what it will do :? . This afternoon looks much more promising hopefully very scatterd out there at the moment its a light NE here funi u say WNW where u are winds all ova the place although it does explain why it feels so muggy and humid.
I think the upper level cloud is a bonus if you look at the CB that you took a pic of it's actually using the upper level cloud as you will see with it dropping and forming what looks like probable rain.
Can't wait till tracker starts going crazy are you going out chasing today Aaron or just Vic park?
Cheers
JASON TIPPET. 8)
Skywatcher
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Skywatcher »

Southerly change arrived a short while ago and wind now moderate SW.

Temp is falling (now 15C) and there has been some rain - just a "windscreen wetter" though :)

Tracker has just started picking activity to the SW - it reckons the Otago coast.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

I'm not sure if it's actually a Cb, certainly a dark base and yes I can precipitation coming out but hmmm....going offshore anyway.

I thought things might happen early but the case still is I guess thunderstorms with the front this afternoon. Yes these winds are all over the place, currently SW now.

Just had a look at the tracker and see some strikes, will have to see sat pic in 15 minutes or so to confirm where they are?? Just saw your post Steven G, will be interesting to see what it does?

Yes I might be able to get out today Jason, we'll see.
Aaron Wilkinson
Skywatcher

Unread post by Skywatcher »

Just received and processed this NOAA17 image. Could be from that line of cloud north of Dunedin :-k
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Yes, I would say that would be right. Despite the big purple splodge over us it isn't doing anything, although it's began to rain here in town. I would say the stuff over us now hasn't go the energy to produce thunder whereas those little cells north of Dunedin have. That's what'll give us stuff later on this afternoon I guess, but some lightning and thunder now wouldn't be bad. ;)
Aaron Wilkinson
Storm Struck

Stirrrrikeee :D (strike) just SW of Elesmere is where I put it as may be a little further out to sea but atleast there's one close to us now. 8)
Some nice CB's in behing the clearing high cloud nice balck ones hehe love those ones :D and some scud being sucked up into the cloud before.
Iv'e already taken 6-7 pics on digital camera and my video camera is ready for some action just got to know when to set up my tripod on my front deck which iam hoping will be strikes to the SW of me.
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.
Storm Struck

Some nice Coliflower heads out there from the SSW all the way round hmm be intersting to see what we get out of these storms.
Clearing too although a stiff SW wind now doesn't seem to be a problem storms still brewing.
Lightning finally coming back down south it went abit dead there for about 20 mins.
Almost time to get filming.
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.
Storm Struck

Storm chasers in Canty turn on your am radio's some nice saferics now. :D
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Looks like a pool of cold unstable air over Otago and Southland right now moving North. I see it's quite warm in Canterbury at the moment (19C at Jeffs place), should be some good storms down your way later today. There's a nice looking Cb off the NorthOtago coast right now .
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Yes, some nice clouds outside. Hopefully it does something this afternoon (late afternoon)

I took this three steps outside the door.
Aaron Wilkinson
Storm Struck

whoa :D its going off down south and now its bloddy black around with big CU out there.
ye harr 8)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Nice Cu congestus going up beyond the Port hills at the moment with the radio crackling away :lol:
However the Southerly has picked up when it was trying to go back easterly here.
Things look good for later but I won't be chasing as I have inlaws to pick up from the railway station later :(

JohnGaul
NZTS
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Massive Cb off towards the NNW with a convergence line travelling down the coast towards BsP. Jason, you might get some really great action at some point.

Bugger you can't do anything John, your video's are great!

I'll report later on tonight what I get to see 8-[
Aaron Wilkinson
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Looking forward to your reports and photo's.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Good storm going off rigth overhead at present, lightning every 10-20secs for the last 20 mins, overhead and all around. Matches up very well with the detector. Most flashes hidden behind low level cloud but plenty of loud thunder. Brief period of rain has eased, winds strong SE but easing now.
Storm Struck

Wow what a storm that was :D got lots of lightning on video and some loud thunder stayed dry here though with a few spits as the storm was going around us.
Another Thunderstorm forming to the NW of us right now.
Looking forward to tonight if something happens when the SW comes through.
Cheers
JASON TIPPET. 8)
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Not too much going on around here. Ominous looking sky, but nothing really doing. I think I heard some thunder??? I little bit of hail mid afternoon and now rain, with a clearance behind.

Though looking at the Southland rain radar, i might be getting some heavier stuff soon.
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

A period of torrential rain around 4.20pm and winds more southerly, then rain easing The rain was so heavy it drowned out the thunder for several minutes. I can now hear the thunder again but its moving away to the north.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Great to hear guy's!

Looking foward to the video Jason!

I've got some heavy rain in town but it's not intense if you know what I mean, big drops (also some small hail) but not downpourish!

More strikes in Templeton and coming up the coast, looking foward to it! I hope :?
Aaron Wilkinson
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

TonyT wrote:A period of torrential rain around 4.20pm and winds more southerly, then rain easing The rain was so heavy it drowned out the thunder for several minutes. I can now hear the thunder again but its moving away to the north.
I saw the back of that Cb from here. Looked impressive but the cloud has now increased somewhat. Wind back to cold Ene herenow
Good on yer Jason.
Raining here with heavy spots

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Looks as though a convergence thunderstorm has the possibility of deveoping :D \:D/

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Looks like Canterbury is getting a reasonable storm season this year afterall.

Slight chance of something interesting here in Auckland tomorrow but I think more eastern regions of the North Island such as Bay of Plenty, Gisborne, Hawkes Bay are best placed for decent land based convection.