Canterbury Thunderstorms for 21st/22nd, maybe 23rd/24th

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Thunder

Canterbury Thunderstorms for 21st/22nd, maybe 23rd/24th

Unread post by Thunder »

Yes, certainly an interesting complex low coming onto us. This time it looks to be a bit slower moving than typical lows that rapidly move across NZ so it should give us two storm days I would think.

I'm not sure about Thursday and Friday but upper cold air does look like hanging around associated with a seperate slightly weaker upper trough for those days so they could also spring in a few surprises if other conditions suit? We'll see.
Aaron Wilkinson
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

We'll see AAron.
I have now a 5 up for both days.
JohnGaul
NZTS
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

you can see the front aproching SI now on infarred Sattelite and chch rain radar is picking up some small stuff on the west already.
Looking forward to this week :D it's kinda going to be like NSW a few weeks ago when they had a week of storms except probly just two days here or as Aaron says maybe Thurs/Friday.
Hmm you could almost camp out in it :? it's actually going to be very humid and mosit tomora with that N-NW flow and an expected high of 20dg which will probly make it over that to around 23dg.
Look out for stressed shoppers in these conditions lol 8) mind you can't be any worse than Australia with hot temperatures but then again they are probly used to it just like we are used to SOUTH WESTERLY WINDS here.
So here's to next few days better get all battries charged up and ready.
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Raining at the moment here.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Storm Struck

Whats it like out your way Aaron there's some nice CB's out here with darkish RFB's?.
Iam glad the low cloud cleared earlier than expected it's making way for warm sunshine it's now 20dg here. 8)
cheers
JASON TIPPET.
Storm Struck

Lets just say its like a TS playground out there right now lol.
Nice saferics on radio now bu nothing on tracker in Canty as of yet the most beutifull CB's out there especially to the SW of me and another storm brewing almost over me now been taking pics at present not quite ready for filming yet.
:D
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.
tich

Unread post by tich »

We've just had a brief heavy shower in central Chch - I heard 1 rumble of thunder. (not very loud though)
Storm Struck

Yeah had a breif shower here at 1pm and starting hearing thunder towards the SW before so figured out where the lightning might be coming from and watched for 7-8 minutes and I was right a nice flash of sheet lightning then two nice booms of thunder like someone falling down the stairs lol :D
Clear now with warm sunshine and 22dg hardly a breath of wind with more CB's brewing to the west of me. :)
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Brief thunderstorm passed over head, when I say overhead , well high up in the sky judging by the sound of the thunder.
No lightning seen so all must of been in the cloud except for one one rumble that was 'dump' thunder so a CG must of occured .
This storm moved from the N to the S around the back of the Port Hills.
No hail here, just a bit of rain (0.6mm to be precise)
Interesting cloud forms to the west of here prior to the merge. Looked quite tornadioc, if there's such a word.
Nice and sunny now with wind here from the WSW.
More cracles/sferics happening so I must go out and investigate :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
tich

Unread post by tich »

Now sunny in Chch, and warmer too - temperature has passed the 20C mark :) (which hasn't happened very often this month). But still chilly in Otago and Southland, with 1PM obs showing 8-11C and rain falling.
Fujita Phil
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Sun? Wow...

20C? Wow...
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
wxgirl
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wxgirl »

Are you thinking maybe it's time for a rethink of your signature there Fujita Phil? :lol:
tich

Unread post by tich »

Cbs and wannabe cbs (towering cumulus) all around, but no further showers in central Chch. Southerly change seems to have cooled things down a bit - now 17C according to Jeffsweather.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Its been a quiet day in Amberley - apart from the CB which Jason mentioned at 1pm over Kaiapoi which stayed south of Amberley all I have seen nearby is towering CU, with some CBs in the far distance over Banks Peninsula and out to sea. Wind has been fresh NW all day, and temperatures mild for a change - low to mid 20s.

By the way, whats a "RFB"?
Storm Struck

By the way, whats a "RFB"?

An RFB is short for rain free base :D fni these definitions we come up with lol.
yeah few good CB's here and there before but sorta dissipated not long after is it really southerly at jeffs it's still NW here and it 6:40pm.
Iam not sure if there is a chance of a TS this evening if the southerly change comes through? :? but if not then probly tomora afternoon for TS.
Got some nice CU pics today will put them up on forum later.
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Jasestrm wrote:By the way, whats a "RFB"?

An RFB is short for rain free base :D fni these definitions we come up with lol.
I know what you mean - neither the tot tot nor the omega half way up could bring the Td dep we had today past the DALR so the tops stopped well short of the trop and even though the CAPE and the LI looked favourable there was barely enough Vvel to push past the FZL or the LCL. :D

Not surprising there were lots of RFBs then... :lol:
Storm Struck

Well my guess there is no TS tonight but tomora might prove something i guess.
here's some pics from today with some nice CB's.
cheers
JASON TIPPET.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Storm Struck

AND MORE PICS.
cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Storm Struck

And two more
enjoy.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Todays morning soundings from both Invercargill and Paraparam didn't look unstable so I was a bit suprised to read there had been thunder in Canterbury today. But the upper cold pool in the Tasman is moving toward the country quickly so there looks to be the chance of thunder in many parts of the country on Wednesday. Central North Island looks the most favourable spot to me but upper South Island will see some storms also.

Thanks for the photos Jason.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Suprised again as summer has left off from February Raing here yet again YAWN :evil: :x :cry: :-({|=
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

NZstorm wrote:Todays morning soundings from both Invercargill and Paraparam didn't look unstable so I was a bit suprised to read there had been thunder in Canterbury today.
I thought it be unstable for today and possibly Thursday from last weeks indications hence the origional 4's I had for both days. This was well before any MetService indications of thunder activity for Canterbury. I amended that to a 5 as if any disturbance would occured from the possibility of GHI which it did briefly casuing a brief CThS over ChCh early afternoon. :roll:

JohnGaul
NZTS
Storm Struck

So John still rate a (5) for tomorrow as TS are in forecast for afternoon I also think there's A higher chance tomora for them and maybe more of them because we won't have the blustery westerly wind we had this afternoon which broke things up abit.
As of tomora we will have a NE wind all day with a SW after dark.
Does anyone know where Aaron is? :? he has been rather quiet today not put up a post he usually is when there's TS about like today.
What kind of Video camera do you have John?.
By the way it's quite funi on Fridays storm I video taped just at the start of the video I said '' and here we have a Thunderstorm'' in your words but it didn't really sound like you John last time you have done that on storm video's lol.
You will probly see that video at the next meeting next year.
Cheers looking forward to day 2 of storms even though we didn't really have TS today atleast I got some nice pics and got to hear Thunder and see one flash of lightning.
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Fine sunny morning in Chch (opportunity for sun to warm the ground), but I see shower activity in South Canterbury on 7AM radar.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

I'm here Jason!

Just haven't managed to post after the tiring chasing yesteray, lol.

Me and Steven Graham went out and saw some lightning from an initial Cb that moved over Bank's Peninsula around 2/3pm. It was mostly in the distance but looked quite good. Eventually as it got off the end of the Peninsula it phased out. After that we went after various Cb's we saw but they only produced rain. One Cb later in the day we followed that was over the Lincoln area which we managed to get right infront of to watch managed to spit out some ok lightning bolts within the cloud (no Cg's we think), about 4 all up (wow! hehe) and then when following it a bit it produced a bit more lightning and thunder. Since the sun was quite bright the lightning wasn't as fantastic as it would've been at night but it was something!

Not the most overally active day yesterday. It's a bugger the Westerly came in becasue things seemed to cease when it did. Dewpoint went from 12 to 5 or something like that so it's now wonder things stopped happening which was a pitty.

Perhaps something today, we really need a southerly to come through to kick something into life and make it really active! Late this afternoon I understand it's meant to go SW so perhaps then? But then the positioning of these lows means it could come through early? Or we could have several bursts from the South, who know's? Looking foward to today and Perhaps tomorrow.

Good stuff Jason. I'll put up a few of mine from yesterday when I get into town as I'm at home typing this now. ;)
Aaron Wilkinson