TS possable This weekend ( 8-9th January)

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Inland view from MtEden this Evening.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

Anyone see that FC on the TV1 news? Bloody big 'hose' somewhere in Hunua.

G
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Great pan Spwill! Oh man, to go and chase that stuff, so cool!

There was a really nice pic of a tornado on the TV ONE news tonight. It was a nice big long ropy one that sort of went horizontally across the sky for a bit (100 to possibly 150 meters) before touching down. The lady presenting the weather (Karen I believe) made the point that the guy who took it said it did touch the ground so it was a tornado. It was a nice thickness for the type of stage the tornado was in (Rope stage), you could've thought it came from the US! That was somewhere in the North Island today, I'm not sure where as I couldn't remember but where the most intense storm activity was I guess?

Edit: couple of seconds later!

Hi Graeme! Just saw your post when I did mine, so it was Hunua. Where's that? Sounds like the Waikato. Cool!
Aaron Wilkinson
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

Aaron J Wilkinson wrote:Hi Graeme! Just saw your post when I did mine, so it was Hunua. Where's that? Sounds like the Waikato. Cool!
It's about 50km south of the central city - sort of a huge area of hills and forest. Quite a bit of Aucklands water comes from dams there. Its between Auckland and the Waikato region.

Cheers,

G
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Yes that funnel cloud photo on TV one tonight looked sensational.
It was near Hunua which is near South Auckland. I took plenty of pics of Towering Cu over that way today so I'm quite keen to Find out what time it occured.
tich

Unread post by tich »

I had a good aerial view of the cloud/storm(?) situation in the central NI this afternoon when I was flying from Auckland to Chch between 4.15 and 5.30. Earlier I had seen cumulus building to the southeast of Auckland late in the morning, and thought something was bound to happen as sun was warming the ground. But the buildups stayed to the southeast in afternoon.

The aeroplane view (luckily I got a window seat on the left-hand side :) )showed thick cloud buildups (cb/towering cumulus) towards eastern Waikato/BOP/Central plateau, with showers (and even a rainbow) clearly visible. By contrast, the west coast down as far as North Taranaki was clear. TV1 Weather mentioned an electrical storm in Rotorua, as well as the Hunua funnel/tornado.

The pilot told us at beginning of flight that Chch was still experiencing some light showers, but it had mostly cleared by the time the plane landed.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Any one sourced a picture I missed it!! :evil:
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
GreggWard

Unread post by GreggWard »

If you go to the following web page you should be able to watch a replay of the TV One Weather, along with the mention of the Rororua thunderstorm and the shot of the funnel cloud from the Hunua Ranges:

http://www.xtra.co.nz/broadband/0,,1055 ... 25,00.html
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Who reports these storms? Hamilton should've got some credit today :P
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Thanks for that link GreggWard. Man they make it difficuilt for you to be able to lift an image off that video! Or alternatively get the video from your cache, it just doesn't work. I've had to resort to simply taking a photograph of the computer screen and the result isn't great but it's something.

So the image is below. Some small amount of info of what little there was.

Occured in the Hunua Ranges
Photo taken by Pupa Giles, sounds like "Poopa Guyills" (I'm not sure if I've got that right, from what I heard it's the best I can come up with)
Initially a funnel cloud but then touched down in bushes indicating a tornado had presented itself.

And an amazing 7mm of rain was recorded in Rotorua from a thunderstorm between the hours of 3 and 4pm yesterday afternoon. Well, I don't find it that amazing but Karen did! Oh well, gets the info around! ;)

None the less, an awsome tornado!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aaron Wilkinson
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The tornado looks quite impressive. On a day with large building cumulus it can be worth being observant for such funnels.

I saw a funnel cloud in the Hunuas way back in 1991 but never photographed it. :roll:
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

and today, Wednesday I observed a small funnel cloud over the Otahuhu area about 1.25pm. The funnel was on a sea breeze convergence zone with some weak shower actvity in the vicinity. Didn't have my camera.

Todays sounding indicates cumulus tops to 3000m.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Great stuff Steven W! I think my camera is glued to me, except on days where the upper air is around -10 at 500mb, lol.

There could be a chance of storms around the Hamilton to Taupo area as afternoon temps climb, if they get to around 25 it should be enough to break through the cap at 3000m which you've noted above Steven. Dewpoints need to stay around the 14/15 mark. If moisture is only good at the very surface and not thick enough (up to say 800mb) then storms probably won't happen but they could so something to keep an eye on.
Aaron Wilkinson
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Just heard a guy on the Radio saying he had just seen a Funnel cloud over Otahuhu, that was about 6.30 pm.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Thanks for that report spwill.

Convergence line with showers still there this evening. NE seabreeze converging with SW sea breeze off the Manukau.

Aaron, your observation about a possible cb over inland North Island wasn't so wide of the mark. The 500mb temp is -17C which is quite cold for January. Big problem today though was the cold slot below 2500m. The 850mb temperature was only +7C. Hence little chance of surface temperatures getting very high to create positive CAPE. :)
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Good Nor'wester today brought back a headache I thought had gone into a hiadious!! Pic below a nor'west sky, very interesting, photo doesnt do it any justice.

Also early this morning we had a sea (I presume) mist roll in, about 8am.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers