Changes to metservice site

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
jamie

Re: Changes to metservice site

Unread post by jamie »

Found the problem... metservice doesnt work very well with the latest IE. Yet another reason to stick with Fire Fox. BUT atleast IE has a little button you can click if a site are not working and it reverts back to the old model and the site works fine. I really should move all my favourites from IE to FF because i hate IE. That way i wouldnt have such problems.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

j--me--h wrote:Found the problem... metservice doesnt work very well with the latest IE. Yet another reason to stick with Fire Fox. BUT atleast IE has a little button you can click if a site are not working and it reverts back to the old model and the site works fine. I really should move all my favourites from IE to FF because i hate IE. That way i wouldnt have such problems.
Yes the latest IE dosen't work well with the MS site as I found it. I was going to mention the little button to revert back to the old model, but you have obviously found it.

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Vertigo
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Vertigo »

i must point out that the only reason that little button is there is because earlier versions of internet explorer did not adhere to web coding standards, and lazy developers coded their websites specifically for these browsers. with IE8, MS is finally trying to use the html and css standards that browsers such as firefox and opera had been using for years and years. dont be suprised if websites start looking strange from now on if you use a lower version than IE8.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

I am really enjoying the longrange forecast on MS considering it hasnt been updated in two days 0_o :rolleyes: .
Says it was last updated on Tuesday 7th April which is tomorrow :lol: , plus the forecast hasnt moved from the weekdays on there.
Some parts of MS are good, but this is abit rediculous considering this is New Zealands main weather service provider.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Vertigo

Unread post by Vertigo »

you could always send them a bug report, chances are they dont know about it.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Yes, Jason, I noticed that yesterday.
I was going to post about it but never got around to doingit :-s

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Chris Raine

Unread post by Chris Raine »

Actually I cannot get into the 10 day rural forecast now on IE . The computer locks up every time and I have have to close IE thgrough the task manager to get IE going again. Fire fox works Ok though
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Why should we have to tell them of an error. My part time job requires me to be updating web sites all throughout the night. It is just commonsense to check if things are uploading properly. If there is an issue i fix it right away because we are providing a service for people (which is free). They should be having people checking the site... Its patheticly easy!!!!
David

Unread post by David »

I find the 3 day rain forecast page is screwed up sometimes, other than that everything else seems okay...
Vertigo

Unread post by Vertigo »

j--me--h wrote:Why should we have to tell them of an error. My part time job requires me to be updating web sites all throughout the night. It is just commonsense to check if things are uploading properly. If there is an issue i fix it right away because we are providing a service for people (which is free). They should be having people checking the site... Its patheticly easy!!!!
and im a full time web developer :p not wanting to get into an arguement over it, but i know id appreciate some constructive feedback if a particular section of a website is doing odd things. you can test a hundred times, but still not catch that small bug that sneaks in.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

I've pretty much stopped using the metservice site. It never loads properly and is immensely frustrating
Christchurch Rocks
Manukau heads obs
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

constructive criticsm is what is needed
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
David

Unread post by David »

Good to see that each new hourly radar update is available on the site a couple of minutes past the hour now instead of around 15 minutes after the hour :)
gllitz
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by gllitz »

David wrote:Good to see that each new hourly radar update is available on the site a couple of minutes past the hour now instead of around 15 minutes after the hour :)
Here, here!

EDIT: or should it be..."Hear, hear!" ;) :wave: ;P
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"