Dumping from the N! 5th-7th March

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Vertigo
Has thanked: 0

Dumping from the N! 5th-7th March

Unread post by Vertigo »

The next weather event set to hit us, according to model guidance, looks like a doozy for rain, covering much of the NI with heavy rain and strong wind, starting Thursday. A strong blocking high to the east will prevent a low pressure system from the sub-tropics from sliding too far east, and ramp up the wind speeds over much of the country.

While not the strong system that the last low was, it should still provide ample storm potential for those of us so inclined towards such things :) Discuss!
DT-NZ
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dumping from the N! 5th-7th March

Unread post by DT-NZ »

Vertigo wrote: While not the strong system that the last low was,
>_<
it should still provide ample storm potential for those of us so inclined towards such things :) Discuss!
Yes :-) anyway, warm and humid here in this part the country, overcast, no wind - great sun halo up in these northern skies at the moment.
Lightning in NZ
The right terminology lends a hint as to the nature of the different forms.
A Vertigo Quote.
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

I know this is a little of topic for this thread but i dont want to start a new one just for this. The Metservice site seems to have been upgraded in some way as it loads with symbols now and the text is different. Some graphical asepcts or layout on some pages seems different as well. Maybe they have done something to help with their overloading, i guess we will soon find out.

On topic and this stuff later in the week looks very messy with a lot of rain and wind. A big low from the southern ocean meets up with the approaching subtropical low. Looking like another event with plenty of warnings and im sure there will be a twist yet. Maybe a little more rain for the South Island this time as the path may be more favourable this time. North Island definately looking like in the firing line again though with upper half in for more action. Nice day here with hardly a cloud in the sky, a northeasterly keeping the temps in the low 20's.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
mattyj46

Unread post by mattyj46 »

[quote="MarkThomas"]I know this is a little of topic for this thread but i dont want to start a new one just for this. The Metservice site seems to have been upgraded in some way as it loads with symbols now and the text is different. Some graphical asepcts or layout on some pages seems different as well. Maybe they have done something to help with their overloading, i guess we will soon find out.[quote]

Yeah good to see those little changes, and another little change I like is how they have 'Invercargill Airport' now rather than just 'Invercargill'.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

I noticed that too Mark which is somewhat interesting.
In the press this morning it said possible thunderstorms north of Rangiora this afternoon so i thought something must have developed overnight, but there isnt anything on the MS thunder outlook hence the warning symbol next to it.
Fresh NE here all day with some CU congestus over Banks Peninnsula and towards the west and south.
Few unstable showers later with the change perhaps.
I see with this system at the end of the week some form of possible squashing, with the heavy rain moving down from the north and the rain moving up the west coast of the South Island.
As they meet there is quite a tightening and very facinating too coming straight down N-NE from way up north.
Just wondering is this what can cause localised severe winds, ie in the valleys and exposed places.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Vertigo

Unread post by Vertigo »

yes, it can do. all that airflow has to go somewhere, so itll end up moving along the frontal boundaries.
Lawrence

Unread post by Lawrence »

Looked fairly exciting over to the West about 45 mins ago. Unfortunately it just dissipated. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Karshvardidgâh wrote:Looked fairly exciting over to the West about 45 mins ago. Unfortunately it just dissipated. :(
Yeah was nice, its looked to of developed over Methven way. Can't see much on the tracker though, a few heavy isolated showers would've developed.
Aaron Wilkinson
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

MarkThomas wrote:I know this is a little of topic for this thread but i dont want to start a new one just for this. The Metservice site seems to have been upgraded in some way as it loads with symbols now and the text is different. Some graphical asepcts or layout on some pages seems different as well. Maybe they have done something to help with their overloading, i guess we will soon find out.
I, too, noticed it...thank goodness it wasn't just me! :crazy: :crazy: Some of the maps which DO come up are blurry, too...it's definitely NOT my monitor...was happening at work and here at home...have tested with other sites and a different browser...weird...perhaps an "upgrade" which didn't work so well? "Oi! SIT/UAT!! What's going on?!?!?" :smile:

SIT = Systems Integration Testing
UAT = User Acceptance Testing
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"
Storm Struck

Looks like there is a weak heavy but thundery shower just slightly inland near Rakia at the moment.
Plenty of CU wafting by towards the south, i seen that cloud before around 5pm it sure looked cool.
Cheers
Jason.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The convection over Canterbury is an interesting topic and should have its own thread!!! Maybe a moderator could put it into a new topic as it dilutes the current topic.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

There does seem to be some instability coming down with this next system but GFS has been taking it out to west of North Island last few runs and just grazing top of Northland. I am hoping that successive model runs will bring this instability more onto northern NZ as this next system could be a doozy if that were to happen. The forecast dewpoints are 20C, just need some of that slightly cooler upper air to get onto us.
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Very very still out there the wind had completely died and its very mild all of a sudden. Rain showers in parts of town and very dark looking build up this evening. Looks like thundery or heavy activity out to sea of BP.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
Storm Struck

Managed some more of that precipitation overnight with the southerly change, a mainly dry but mild day though.
Another 3mm now which is up to about 85mm of rain since 24th of February, and the grass is certainly getting alot greener across Canterbury now.
Fire risks around here are now moderate-Low, my lawns are growing fast like its spring again.
It will certainly be interesting once the flow tilts back more a NW/SW affect possibly by the end of this month or early April as we get those seasonal cold changes and with canterbury now one soaked spunge should be great for the classic Canterbury set up of thunderstorms and hail.
Give us a few days to dry up and we will be in for more rain again by Friday, its rather ongoing :P .
Cheers
Jason.
DT-NZ

Unread post by DT-NZ »

Morning, rain in this part of country at the moment looking rather grey and bleak outside with a slightly cool change in the air, a heavy belt of rain pelted through here early hours 0500 and the wind is picking up, nothing much to exciting to report, yet.
Lightning in NZ
A Vertigo Quote.
MumCarrot

Unread post by MumCarrot »

DT-NZ wrote:Morning, rain in this part of country at the moment looking rather grey and bleak outside with a slightly cool change in the air, a heavy belt of rain pelted through here early hours 0500 and the wind is picking up, nothing much to exciting to report, yet.
Ditto in Kerikeri - but maybe worst of showers over now.
Vertigo

Unread post by Vertigo »

its bloody gusty today.. working from home with the doors open, and im getting blown around every 20 seconds!
DT-NZ

Unread post by DT-NZ »

Vertigo wrote:its bloody gusty today.. working from home with the doors open, and im getting blown around every 20 seconds!
Hi Vertigo,

You were right with the wind gusty here also and I can hear things blowing around outside, have friends travelling to the Cape tomorrow - they should stay home.

Notably, winds have strengthened considerably since my earlier post with strong gusts, rain has eased (for now) humid.
Lightning in NZ
A Vertigo Quote.
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

High cloud is thickening that means something is coming...
moderate winds atm, with a gust up to 25.7km/hr atm
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

E'erlys picking up here! Mean-winds at 3pm were - 63 km/h out in the N'ern Hauraki Gulf, 61km/h at Tiritiri and 50 km/h in the Waitemata. Lesser winds up N - 44 km/h at Cape Reinga, and 56 km/h at Cape Karikari and Tutukaka Harbour.
David

Unread post by David »

Sure is getting windy outside now :)
squid

Unread post by squid »

looks like it will be a bi tof a bumpy ride for me when i arrive in Nz on sat afternoon
check out our online shop

www.delicatedelights.com.au
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

no, the wind will have died down alot by then and the main rain band will have moved through
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Certainly a mild start to day with 20C.

Looking thundery over the upper North Island with this system tomorrow. Fingers crossed we can catch some interesting weather here in Auckland tomorrow.
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

some big blobs of convection moving south towards northland on the sat images
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]